Building a steam locomotive

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Session35

Building a steam locomotive

Post by Session35 »

I am considering building a 7.5" gauge steam locomotive, and was wondering if anyone has any reccomendations where to start. I have no machining equipment, so rough castings aren't an option for me. I was thinking about a machined forney kit from RMI or if Allen Models offers machined kits, the Chole. Thank you to anyone who has input!
aopagary

Re: Building a steam locomotive

Post by aopagary »

by indicating 7½" v. 7¼" gauge, assume you are somewhere in the US other than the New England area, but if you could narrow that down a bit, i'm sure the majority of responses will include seeking out a live steam track to visit in your area. no better place for a prospective live steamer to get advice and gather information or ideas.

cheers...gary
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Yes, definitely post your general area so that those closest to you can contact you.

The best thing, in my opinion, is to buy a locomotive that is either already running or is at least a chassis able to run on air. That gets you much closer to the finish line much faster.

As far as I know, Allen Models of Michigan does not offer machined parts. Little Engines does not either. You might want to look around on the classified areas. There are Allen Models Chloe locomotives for sale on there from time to time. There are also other small locomotives you might want to look at.

Also, if you are going to build something, start small. I've said this many times before: A running 0-4-0 is a whole lot more fun than a half-finished Pacific chassis sitting on your bench.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Actually, we are starting to offer some machined parts. But right now it is on a fairly limited basis. Once the 0-4-0 is done we will be doing more machined parts.
Session35

Post by Session35 »

Marty_Knox wrote:Actually, we are starting to offer some machined parts. But right now it is on a fairly limited basis. Once the 0-4-0 is done we will be doing more machined parts.
To which company are you referring to? And thank you all for the fast replies. I'm in the Phoenix Arizona area.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Session35 wrote:
Marty_Knox wrote:Actually, we are starting to offer some machined parts. But right now it is on a fairly limited basis. Once the 0-4-0 is done we will be doing more machined parts.
To which company are you referring to? And thank you all for the fast replies. I'm in the Phoenix Arizona area.
Allen Models of Michigan www.allenmodels.com
Session35

Post by Session35 »

Would the 0-4-0 be the Chloe style or would it be a model I'm not seeing listed on the website?
Looking for advice and assistance to build a 7.5" gauge live steam locomotive. PM me if you have any input!
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Session35 wrote:Would the 0-4-0 be the Chloe style or would it be a model I'm not seeing listed on the website?
The 0-4-0 is a new model which is much larger than a Chloe. It uses Mogul cylinders and valve gear, Consolidation drivers, and the American cab. The cylinders are 2" x 3 1/4", the drivers are 6 3/8" diameter, and the boiler is 8 5/8" diameter.
Attachments
IMG_3456.JPG
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

The other thing you can do if fortunate is find someone
with the ability and desire to do the heavy lifting for you as
far as machining.

You buy all of the castings, and they do the machining.

Do not fool yourself. Even with this route there are tens of hundreds
of hours of fitting, tinkering, and fabrication before you get
to a running locomotive, but not having the skills and equipment
to do the intricate machine work should not deter you from
going for it.
Brian
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

There are no pre-machined kits available that I know of. Besides the OS copy of the LE/Winton mogul. Accucraft has their new Forney although it's sold RTR.

If you like the Chloe or any of the other small designs it would be a good idea to get involved in a club and maybe hook up with someone who would allow you to use their shop or even do the work for you in exchange for $$ or work. That's probably your best option.

Ken-
Session35

Post by Session35 »

Marty_Knox wrote:
Session35 wrote:Would the 0-4-0 be the Chloe style or would it be a model I'm not seeing listed on the website?
The 0-4-0 is a new model which is much larger than a Chloe. It uses Mogul cylinders and valve gear, Consolidation drivers, and the American cab. The cylinders are 2" x 3 1/4", the drivers are 6 3/8" diameter, and the boiler is 8 5/8" diameter.
When is that new model set for release? That seems very nice and defiantly what I'm looking for. Another one I've considered is the RMI forney. It doesn't seem it would be that much harder to build, its just a whole lot bigger and they do offer that one as far as I know in a machined kit.

The forney style is defiantly one of my favorites so anything of that similar design be it a tank loco or one with a tender (like an 0-4-0). Thank you both for your input, and its for sure something I would like to start work on here in the next year or so.
Looking for advice and assistance to build a 7.5" gauge live steam locomotive. PM me if you have any input!
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Session35 wrote:
Marty_Knox wrote:
When is that new model set for release? That seems very nice and defiantly what I'm looking for. Another one I've considered is the RMI forney. It doesn't seem it would be that much harder to build, its just a whole lot bigger and they do offer that one as far as I know in a machined kit.

The forney style is defiantly one of my favorites so anything of that similar design be it a tank loco or one with a tender (like an 0-4-0). Thank you both for your input, and its for sure something I would like to start work on here in the next year or so.
I'm not going to release any drawings until the first one is finished and tested. I started it this January and worked on it pretty steady through the end of April. Then in May I set it aside to finish my RGS 20. Once the 20 is done I will get back to work on the 0-4-0.
Here is a picture of the 20 from last weekend.
Attachments
IMG_4021.JPG