G0678 CNC Conversion Build Log

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

BClemens

Re: G0678 CNC Conversion Build Log

Post by BClemens »

Dave. this is what was used to 'neutralize' the weight of the quill assembly. These are a chore to work with but once tamed they work quite well.
Bill
Attachments
9293k42p1-d03d-digitall.png
9293k42p1-d03d-digitall.png (30.32 KiB) Viewed 22979 times
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Progress Report:

I had to wait almost 30 days to get the timing pulleys for the Z axis and the Spindle Encoder but they came yesterday. So I've been busy toady fitting pulleys to shafts. I've got the Z axis all done except for the belt and it is on the way. Z Axis Cover is done, encoder pulley is attached to the spindle and tomorrow I'll fit the matching pulley to the encoder shaft and drill the holes to mount it.

I had to make a fixture to hold the 2.667" pulley so I could bore out a 54Mm hole (2.126") but it came out very nice and fits firm enough not to need any locktite. I can't pull it off by hand so I'm thinking it will stay put.

It won't be long until this machine will be ready to rigid tap!

Dave C.
Attachments
0313181400 (2).jpg
0313181400a (2).jpg
0313181401a (2).jpg
0313181521 (2).jpg
0313181530 (2).jpg
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Just some FYI stuff:

I got the last of the parts in for the Z axis, tuned the servo, tested the stroke with a DTI and I'm pretty good for now.

The encoder I bought from Automation Direct was throwing Quadrature errors so it has been sent back for a replacement. So I can't do any rigid tapping until I get the replacement. Probably be a week or more!

I'll post a video of the machine working, I may wait until I can show it doing some threading.

All in all it was a good learning process!

Dave C.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Test Run:

https://youtu.be/EXOyr-DcedE

Not much of a part but it shows how I set tools without having to have a lot of Z travel. This method is pretty much fool proof and I can use tools as long or short as I need.

Dave C.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Looks and works great! Well done.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I gathered up all the courage I could find and I made my first actual part:

This plate mounts over the left servo motor and will hold TTS tool holders. It came out just like I drew it. What a concept! :D

0326181132 (2).jpg

I also made a couple of short videos of the run!

https://youtu.be/6ag1OWwQmik

https://youtu.be/Xd5SXl8zLlE

Time for Lunch!

Dave C.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

OK Dave, Now you're too busy 'playing' to finish the build log.... Happy for you - you're loving it. Show us some of those projects with your new CNC mill.

BC
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

BC,

I'd love to tell ya'all that I've been busy making parts but it just aint so! :cry:

Just about the time I got this machine running I discovered I had moisture in my finished basement. So I'm in overdrive trying to get to the cause and find a solution before it ruins some very nice custom built cabinetry. I got the scope camera out and did some probing. I have a bit of mold so this has been damp for longer than I thought.

I got pros coming as this is above my pay grade!

I'll post some pics once I get back on the machine.....

Dave C.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I guess it might be worth mentioning to anyone who is interested in this project that I did a more detailed build log on the Centroid Acorn forum. CNC does not seem to have all that much interest here on The Home Machinist forum so I try to respect that and post where the main interest lies.

I love this site as well and have learned most of my basic skills from good people who cared enough to share, so it's not that I don't want to post more here, it's just that the Centroid Acorn forum seems to fit the project a little bit better.

Dave C.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

The mill is complete!

I made a video of 5 holes being rigid tapped if you want to see it run.

https://youtu.be/772VcHhFSV0

Dave C.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Interesting!
I'm curious. My experience in tapping dictates that proper lubrication is important, although a huge volume of lubricant isn't generally required. Mind you, I'm making reference to conditions that were normal back in the late 1900's, not what is happening today.
That said, did you lubricate your tap (perhaps each hole) before tapping?
Looks and works great!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

That said, did you lubricate your tap (perhaps each hole) before tapping?
Yes, I put some clear thread cutting lube in and around all 5 holes and some on the tap. Because it is clear, it does not show up very well in the video.

The product I used was something I bought from Grizzly and I've had it for over 10 years but it is just about gone. I'll more than likely switch over to the flood coolant soon as I have the chip guards all made, I just need to add the drain system and plumb the tank.

Other than that, I'm calling it finished!

Dave C.