BOB CAD

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Dave_C

Re: BOB CAD

Post by Dave_C »

Kvom,

I understood it just fine!

G70 Fixed cycle, multiple repetitive cycle, for finishing (including contours) T
G71 Fixed cycle, multiple repetitive cycle, for roughing (Z-axis emphasis)

I'm not sure you understand the production process involved with real CNC work!

Once you finish trade school and work at the trade for a living you can revisit this post and see if you have the same opinion.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Dave:

There are some unique peculiarities on how some controls handle G70/G71 with / without cutter compensation and with / without tool nose radius calculation that can really screw up arc motions.

Some controls allow you to turn on G41/G42 after G71/G70 are active, others do not.

Some controls require you to program the virtual tip of the tool for the cycle, and nose radius calculation is done in the control automatically.

Other control configurations require that you program the center of the tool nose radius for these cycles.

Depending on how the control is configured, you may have to set the R=0 or R=REAL VALUE in the control register depending on how you program the contour, even if G41/G42 is not used.

I don't have any idea what is allowed / required by your control, but if I can help, feel free to contact me and we may be able to get this to work for you.

Even though BobCAD is a competitor of the company I work for, I do know that it is not an overly bad product.

They would not have been around for 35+ years if things didn't work.
Back in the 1980's I worked for the company that originally sold Bob T the code he used to create the first BobCAD.

As for the idea of not needing CAM for a lathe....well....giggle...I guess if you are programming really simple parts, then perhaps you may not need CAM.

As someone once said 'simple is as simple does'....

As for support not helping when you are not a 'paying customer on a support contract'....I understand and sympathize with both sides of that fence.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Bill,

Thanks for the reply and the offer for help. Very much appreciated!

I've got Bob-Cad working reasonable well for now. I'm not doing a lot right now as I am looking to move, build or something to get out of town. I want to go back to the country where I can have my shop without the Nazi's telling me I can't!

Thanks for the offer,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

living on an 80 acre farm has its advantages....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

DrDavo wrote:I want to go back to the country where I can have my shop without the Nazi's telling me I can't!
One of many reasons I moved from the Salt Lake City Valley to Western Washington.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

either that or because you wanted a place where you didn't have to look over your shoulder when you wanted to drink a beer.
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

It's so nice where I live. I can work all day in my shop/garage with the door open and nobody bothers me. I'll put a rack with 4 or 5 RC boats out in the driveway and everyone thinks I'm just pursuing my hobby.

My brother and I have a product that that we were just issued a patent on, so now we're going to push it through the FDA. It's a device, not a drug so we're told devises go through fairly quickly.

If that happens, I'm gonna build a hobby shop that most folks only dream of. I'm gonna have a Haas VF2 and an ST10Y lathe to keep my Tormach company. -
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote:either that or because you wanted a place where you didn't have to look over your shoulder when you wanted to drink a beer.
Snicker!

Well, I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I do enjoy the odd glass of wine and (make that "or") scotch and water.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

together in one glass?

no wonder you moved...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote:together in one glass?

no wonder you moved...
Hmmmm.

No, that wouldn't have solved the problem. I edited my comment, so, maybe, it is more clear! :lol:

H
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Believe it our not, last month when I was in Spain, there were people putting Coca-Cola in Beer...

almost as bad as fruit in beer...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote:Believe it our not, last month when I was in Spain, there were people putting Coca-Cola in Beer...

almost as bad as fruit in beer...
Seems like a sure way to ruin both of them.

To each, his own, I guess.

Some folks like scotch and milk. Terrible thing to do to scotch.

H