Late 1980's CNC trash or treasure?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Jaden

Late 1980's CNC trash or treasure?

Post by Jaden »

Hey guys a local machine shop has this late 80s model 10" CNC lathe for sale. Wondering if it's a steal of a deal or just pass and get something that has a mill head on top for more axis? It measures 9 feet x 6.5 feet, a bit bigger footprint than I was hoping. He's asking 8000.00 cash. I'm thinking in a few years when the newer faster ones come out, you won't even be able to give these things away? It's a Hitachi Seiki not sure what year though.
Attachments
10 inch chuck2.jpg
control panel2.jpg
monitor keyboard2.jpg
tailstock placard2.jpg
Mid Day Machining

Re: Late 1980's CNC trash or treasure?

Post by Mid Day Machining »

What is the control? If it's a Fanuc and in working condition, it might be a good buy, but if you have to have it serviced, it will cost you $300.00 plus, just for them to walk through the door, and repair parts are EXPENSIVE. Plus, I think Hitachi is out of the CNC business. They did build a good machine though.

Personally, I think I'd stay away from it.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Looks like the one I used to run! It's not in ohio, is it?

In my opinion, he's asking way too much. Twice what I would pay for it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If it runs, it may continue to run for years or may die tomorrow, in which case it is a door-stop unless

you are prepared to take an AXE to all the electronics and start over

FANUC service calls at $300 for a look-see are a bargain, cost of parts....very high once you find the problems.

much of the control is in a PLC ladder that is the interface between the FANUC and the 'rest of the machine' and unless you have a copy of that ladder logic, getting it to work when something fails can be a major problem.

even with FANUC service, if you don't have the PLC logic, getting it fixed can be an exercise in wallet-emptying frustration.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

I've maintained CNC's for over 30 years and have much experience with these lathes. The controls are quite robust. If it runs now it probably will keep plugging along for some time. PCB's can still generally be had but as others said not cheap. Pretty easy to troubleshoot. Generally old power supplies are the culprit. The m/c is pretty simple and the mechanics are good. Not many issues with the turret. Both axis' have mechanical overload clutches that do much to prevent damage in a crash.
Make sure the backup batteries are fresh before you disconnect it and copy down all the parameters. The ladder is pretty hard to lose or corrupt and is well labeled when you look at it. Not much memory space for programs. I think memory is rated "ft of punch tape" rather than Mb!
The guy is dreaming on the asking price.......

Bob D.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0