Ghost Gunner

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

magic9r

Re: Ghost Gunner

Post by magic9r »

Well, that looks fairly comprehensive, from reading the manual I'm sure it will be possible, using the descriptions included, to work out how to make parts other than those for which the dedicated code is provided,
Regards,
Nick
waverace

Post by waverace »

Thanks for looking , I certainly hope so
tmarks11

Post by tmarks11 »

From the GG website:
When cutting aluminum, there's usually no reason to cut insanely fast, as this tactic is primarily used by machines that have too much chatter to cut with deep passes. For example, many machines that claim to cut aluminum do so by cutting as fast as possible at depths of just 0.001", which results in poor part tolerance, as only the tip of the end mill (a.k.a 'drill bit') actually cuts the metal. The result is the end mill tip dulls quickly and then part quality suffers. By increasing the cutting depth to say 0.100" inches, a machine can cut 100x slower and still finish the part in the same amount of time. Ghost Gunner is designed to cut deep grooves and thus doesn't need some insanely fast gibberish feed rate to overcome an inadequate design. To specifically answer the question, Ghost Gunner can run fast (80ipm), but doesn't need to, as it's rigid enough to cut like a real CNC.
all I can say is "huh"? Never seen a machine designed to only cut 0.001" while running insanely fast. Most cnc machines are design to cut 0.250" and deeper while running insanely fast.... or are they talking about cnc routers? Never seen anyone try to make a receiver on a cnc router.

"The GG can run fast (80 ipm) but doesn't need to". Is that saying that GG runs slower than 80 ipm all the time?

Would be nice if they actually showed decent videos of the machine running and some decent pictures showing how it is made, instead of the stupid, spooky, anarchist-crazed videos they do post.

DD/GG is going to single-handly get 80% receivers outlawed.
waverace

Post by waverace »

+1 on the dumb videos , just make a machine that works and sell it to the masses without all the fanfare , then you can say look what we did .
I just hope that the machine actually does deliver even half of the promised hype , a small benchtop cnc mill that is fully programmable will be a great addition to my shop .
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

don't hold your breath doing much of anything with that..look somewhere else.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
waverace

Post by waverace »

If you can point me to a portable cnc under 1300 bucks I'll go look at it
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

realistically...you get what you pay for and you cannot purchase a reasonable Manual Mill for that price.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
waverace

Post by waverace »

At this point I'll be happy if I actually get what I've paid for.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Has this doo-dad landed yet?
waverace

Post by waverace »

not yet still waiting , there was a hiccup in the payment process which led to a refund , I then repaid with a different method which dropped me back in the waiting list a bit , some of the first models are getting out there though and a couple have turned up on ebay already
waverace

Post by waverace »

My ghost gunner arrived today , been reading the instructions and looking at videos online so will start messing with it over the weekend , need to get some small M4 T nuts though as they were not in the kit , wish me luck
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Good Luck!
How about some nice photos? ;-)

- Nick