Update: New control from China installed. From GSK.

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Pennsy fan

Update: New control from China installed. From GSK.

Post by Pennsy fan »

Well after a month and half of a whole heck of a lot of work, its running good. Just some minor tuning still to go.

Note: I listed photos by order not by file number...I'm trying onedrive, so I hope this all works.....

Well the photos are not in the right order, I'm trying to fix that. In the mean time you'll get the idea..

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E ... =folder%2c

A complete gutting of all the cabinets and old electronics, motors and thing else that couldn't be reused. See the first 4 photos.
a,b,c,d.
The one thing I was able to do was to remove one of the large cabinets and open up space to move the yellow oil pump to the side. And gained back some space.

Next was to remove the old DC motors and remount the new AC ones with the same belted pulleys, had to do some machining on the cases to fit the new frames on. See photos e and f.

On this control it needed a way to find the axis zero points or (home), so another limit switch needs to be installed. The existing ones are converted to just Hard Limit only. When you start up you push datem button and send an axis to the new home switch and it depresses once goes past ramp then looks for 0 on the encoder. Now home. Photos g,h,i,j,k.

Then to laying out all the new amps, relays, transformers, and cables. After looking at how nice the DB 25 connectors are done, I didn't want to cut and redo the cables to shorten, so I coiled the leftover on the back of the mill. Photos m,n,o.

The green terminal board is the I/O address board. Photo p.

The next 5 shots are of the building of the main I/O and Drives cabinet. Photos q,r,s,t,u.

On to mounting the CNC control and Hand station. Photos v,w,x,y.

And after about 4 weeks of semi steady work on this, power up day. NO SMOKE! Photos z,1.

At this point my Head hurts from all of this ! Now to start to setup the Parameters, gear ratio, and LOTs of other stuff.

Photos 2 and 3 show that I took off my other mills DRO to setup the Gear Ratio, does good right out of the box. Command move 27in. Shows 27.00 in. Yea!

But a few bone head goofs, in my being tired I reversed the I/Os and fried the ULN 2803, output amps to the relays. But the smart China boys took that into account and you can easily get news ones for cheep and replace...the chips are in a sockets.
Last Photo. #3.

I have now ran a few test pieces and after setting the backlash its coming out good. Need to do more tuning on the servos as the circle needs some help.

But as a whole the China support has been ok, not the greatest but if your smart about this kind of stuff, or get help from a good friend that is smart about this stuff you can do this.
You do need a another mill and lathe to help with the machining side, and be good electrical designer too.

In my day job I have done a fair share of both.. And my Head still hurts.... a major brain workout on this one.
Attachments
z.png
hanermo

Re: Update: New control from China installed. From GSK.

Post by hanermo »

WELL DONE !

? Does it rigid tap ?
Whats the MHz rate ?

Does it support glass scales for secondary feedback ?
And data on model, specs of control ?
Pennsy fan

Re: Update: New control from China installed. From GSK.

Post by Pennsy fan »

This is the link to all controls info.

As for glass scales I think you can, but only as a primary.

http://www.cncmakers.com/cnc/controller ... 80MDc.html

As it turns out you can spec the motor shafts, cable lengths. Not sure on the type of servo connectors, the one are not truly water tight on mine. But I can fix that if it's a real problem. But as I use a mist system it's not an issue.

If your interested in this I can fill you in on all the details.

On cost your looking around 6K, control, drives, motors, cables, books, shipping.