My first part - and a dimple

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

RET

Re: My first part - and a dimple

Post by RET »

Hi ctwo,

Now that it appears that you have a good working machine, I'm curious. Just what do you plan to make with it? There are lots of possibilities, but what is your particular interest?

I'm also not sure why you want to control the spindle, although for commercial machines, that is necessary for tool changing. While it is light for today's commercial work (it is still capable for that, just slower), for hobby use, you have a good heavy machine that can do a lot.

I've found that playing with CNC can be fascinating, especially when you can get it to work just right. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I find I use the machine that is most suited for what I want to do and sometimes that requires a combination of several machines.

Have fun.

Richard Trounce.
ctwo

Re: My first part - and a dimple

Post by ctwo »

Hi RET,

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it here. I did not buy this machine for any particular purpose other than to satisfy an urge that I had to build a CNC. I worked part time in a very small machine shop at the end of high school and through college. It was busy work and I was merely a knob turner. The owner was not interested in teaching much so I was never quite fulfilled in that pursuit. I picked up a few modest manual machines a few years ago after realizing how silly it was that I was trying to fashion a custom screw for my tripod on my drill press. I just found some good deals on craigslist and just happen to walk into this Boss3 by chance.

This is what I did with the weekend.
Attachments
probe01-20160215_175146.jpg
nickel-probe.png
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...