What do you guys think of these for limit switches?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: What do you guys think of these for limit switches?

Post by Bill Shields »

magnetic reed switches are the last thing that I would consider for this application.

adding the 'pulse' as described above is exactly what we do on more 'industrial' applications and will give you want you want long-term.

There is nothing more annoying than setting up a job, having all the tools 'where you want them' and having to start over the next morning.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Bill, I still agree with you but it is not all that bad for those of us who do not have pulse homing. Mach 3 uses a master tool table setup so you don't lose you tool offsets on power down. All I have to do is touch off my master tool to the stock, set zero's and go. Of course I'm working on a lathe and setting Z zero to the end of the stock is easy as I set a bump stop in the program to start which lets me get a repeat on the next part. The X is a little harder as you really need to take a test cut in a scrap piece, measure it and enter the measurement into the DRO.

Not ideal, but it is accurate!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

That's cool....but I still would not use those magnetic reed switches for that application.

Don't you also generally use them for limit switches?

The problem with magnetic switches is that they can accumulate 'magnetic trash' on the magnet, and before long they are tripping (or not tripping) at odd times.

I would recommend (what I use industrially) a proximity switch that is non-magnetic.

http://www.omega.com/googlebase/product ... 0wodyc0NRw

You can get them for $10 or so today and are industrial grade.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Bill,

It seems your link is just for the mounting bracket. The actual sensor is $255.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/LD701.html
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
WJH

Post by WJH »

Hmm, proximity sensors, my airplane has tons of those all over the airframe, for the gear doors, the landing gear, the cargo doors, main passenger door, etc. Anything that opens and closes and is considered either structural or safety oriented.
I'd hate to know how much the FAA approved version costs!