Need Info on Splicing into Existing Tach for Spindle Info

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Need Info on Splicing into Existing Tach for Spindle Info

Postby SteveHGraham » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:37 am

Here is a question for electronics people. I am trying to find the answer myself, but it can't hurt to ask.

I am trying to fix my CNC mini-lathe up for threading. That means it needs a spindle sensor. When I got the plans, a sensor was included in the BOM, so I bought it, assuming I would figure it out later.

Now that I'm taking a closer look, I think I will not need the sensor. The plans are for a mini-lathe with no RPM meter. My lathe already has one, so the spindle has a ring on it with a hole in one location, and the ring passes through a caliper-looking thing which must be an optical sensor.

Here is what I'm wondering: can I just cut into the RPM sensor wires and feed a new line to the board controlling the lathe? The board will accept spindle information, so that's not a problem. The problem is that I don't know what kind of signal comes out of an optical sensor, whether it needs power, etc. I don't know if the type of signal that emerges from this thing will make my controller happy.
Don't trigger me, bro!

Zerobeat

Re: Need Info on Splicing into Existing Tach for Spindle Inf

Postby Zerobeat » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:41 pm

Just taking a wild guess, but I think you may have a Hall Effect sensor rather than an optical. I'd also guess that both controls would experience issues sharing the sensor.

SteveHGraham

Re: Need Info on Splicing into Existing Tach for Spindle Inf

Postby SteveHGraham » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:23 pm

I've been researching. Right now it looks like two slotted optical switches and a second wheel with two notches will do the job.

I've been using Mach3 to try to get the lathe working, and apparently, most people using Mach3 thread with a single spindle sensor. Unfortunately, I sprang for a nice board that insists on two sensors at 90 degrees to each other. I'm not sure I understand it yet, but the optical switches are my current focus.
Don't trigger me, bro!

Return to “Home Shop CNC”