Monitor replacement

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Monitor replacement

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Recently the CRT monitor on my Dynapath Delta 40 died. Dynapath sells a replacement LCD unit at a very steep price. The replacement monitor was acting a bit flacky, now being replaced under warrantee, but during the troubleshooting with Dynapath, I was able to confirm that their system uses a standard VGA monitor, in fact I am using a spare computer monitor for operations while the exchange is being made.

So, if you do not need to have it all inside the box, you can save considerable $$ by using a generic monitor.
Steggy

Re: Monitor replacement

Post by Steggy »

Russ Hanscom wrote:Recently the CRT monitor on my Dynapath Delta 40 died. Dynapath sells a replacement LCD unit at a very steep price. The replacement monitor was acting a bit flacky, now being replaced under warrantee, but during the troubleshooting with Dynapath, I was able to confirm that their system uses a standard VGA monitor, in fact I am using a spare computer monitor for operations while the exchange is being made.

So, if you do not need to have it all inside the box, you can save considerable $$ by using a generic monitor.
VGA units with LED-backlit display panels are pretty cheap these days and produce a very sharp, high contrast image. Viewsonic and a few others make 4:3 format 17 inch monitors, which would work well for your purpose.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

True, I just wanted the machine to look original so big bucks for a 9" display. I still may add a splitter and have a second larger monitor. Maybe I just should have put a Kleenex box in the hole!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I used one of these in mine.

http://www.omnivisionusa.com/monitors/r ... inch-.html

I believe it was considerably less than what Dynapath wanted.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Wish I had been aware of them earlier.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Good thing the spare computer monitor works; even if it sitting on top of the control panel. I spoke with Dynapath today and they must have gotten a bad batch of monitors - none pass tests for sending out- no idea on how long it will take for a good one.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

good luck with finding someone that still makes those monitors....

like the Dodo bird....headed toward extinction...

doubt there is enough demand to have another batch made at any (reasonable) price!
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I missed the above post last January or would have jumped in.
My old B&W monitor ( 1989 Hurco) failed 2 years ago and replacement cost was out of sight $$$ ( 3K+ )
The CRT maker was also out of business. So after months of searching, i found a guy only a few miles away who repairs
CRT's as a business, and old ones are his specialty......The reason ? That's what are used in antique video games !
He has business all over the USA come to him. He repaired my tube and board for 150 bucks ..
He has sources for CRT replacements as well.
Try Chad at
http://www.arcadecup.com/index.php

I highly recommend him

Rich
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Well patience prevailed. I finally got a good monitor a few weeks ago. Dynapath got a batch of good VGA ones and the borrowed monitor has gone back to its original job. I have no desire to restore the CRT version, but I may offer it to your repair outfit as inventory.