Chess Pieces

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Dave_C

Chess Pieces

Postby Dave_C » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:58 pm

I've been playing with my CNC lathe making some chess pieces. The hard part was drawing the pieces in Bob Cad since I had nothing to scale them to or copy from.

Obviously one set needs to be anodized black and I still have to make the 4 knights.

Maybe someday!

MVC00002.JPG
View of one side on a paper playing board.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.

chief

Re: Chess Pieces

Postby chief » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi Dave,

Nice work on the chess pieces!

The knights are the hardest to draw in CAD, and at this point you might want to just work through it to know you did them all, but if you check out https://grabcad.com/library there are a fair number of chess pieces that you can download drawing of for free. You have to signup to download, but as I said, it's free and there are tons of things to search thru, not just chess stuff.

Terry

Dave_C

Re: Chess Pieces

Postby Dave_C » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Just as a side note: I don't have a CNC mill so making the knights in 3D is not something I have the tools to do. All of the mill work on the King, Queen and the Rook were all done with a manual mill.

I did it more as a means of learning and gaining confidence in my ability to make the drawings and the code and be able to run the CNC lathe reliably.

It was a good exercise!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.

Return to “Home Shop CNC”