Building "small"12" x 12" x 6" 3 axis CNC mill/router for metals like Al, Zn, Cu & alloys similar materials

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

RogueRose

Building "small"12" x 12" x 6" 3 axis CNC mill/router for metals like Al, Zn, Cu & alloys similar materials

Post by RogueRose »

So I've been trying to find some 3 axis CNC router/milling machines that are capable of working with metals such as Al, Cu, Zn and a number of alloys. I don't need anything that is exceptionally complex and am willing to put work in to build one and I have the ability to create my own PCB's and populate boards as well as probably salvage very good scrap stepper motors from very high end HP plotter printers (like $250,000 machines) which may have a lot of parts which could be used for this project.

As for power supply, I'm able to create or modify any form of power supply needed to get the job done. As far as controlling the unit, IDK if an Arduino will do the job but I can also try using a Raspberry pi (whatever model) or some more powerful board in the same form factor of these.

Does anyone know if there has been a "go fund me" or "Kickstarter" for building something like this? I'm new to those sites and don't know which is better for this type of application. I know there are a number of other sites that offer crowd sourcing projects and may be they are better, so suggestions are welcome!

I'd like to create a basic layout that is say 12" x 12" x 6" with all the parts necessary but also have the option of making it 18" x 18" x 8" (to 12") and even greater f with possible upgrades to the router/mill motor and some of the so the features. The same control units can be used (should be able to be used) and many of the "base" pieces. So if someone wanted to order an 18" x 24" 10" machine, then the pieces could be cut to size for that specific request and the rest of the components would fit where needed. So custom size machines can be made to order if they are involved in the Kickstarter campaign.

Can anyone tell me some major hurdles that I would be facing in this endeavour and as well as potential costs? I think it wold also be a great idea to make it possible to include a 3D printing head in this in place of the router/mill bit. IDK if that is possible, but it would be a GREAT benefit to the over-all solution.

I'd also like to be albe to have the capability of 3d laser scanning to get the exact dimensions and measurements of objects and IDK if that can be incorperated into this or not and if not, where would I focus for that?
NP317

Re: Building "small"12" x 12" x 6" 3 axis CNC mill/router for metals like Al, Zn, Cu & alloys similar materials

Post by NP317 »

Here is a company offering similar machines to the ones you described.
http://shop.nextwaveautomation.com/shop/
You might get some of your questions answered by studying their product.
This product received a good review in a recent issue of Model Aviation. I cannot remember which issue.
~RN