Getting started with CNC machining

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

WSHBaker

Getting started with CNC machining

Post by WSHBaker »

I have access to a CNC Mill-drill-lathe but owner insist I figure it out for myself. Have served a machinist's apprenticeship many years ago and have never worked at the trade so my skills are somewhat 'rusty.' [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Shouldn't have a problem with the machine mostly the CNC programming. That is pretty much a brand new world.
Would appreciate recommended sources of information to get started.
Rick

Re: Getting started with CNC machining

Post by Rick »

Try a Technical School in your area, they will have classes on CNC and will have machines you can use. A few from our Live Steam club do this and have access to the machine tools for building thier Locos.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Hi WSH;

I just built a 3 axis CNC mini mill. Travels are 12 x 18 and 10 in "Z". I'm new at CNC but did take a course a year ago.
Best way to get started is find an existing program and use it to build on. Make some suttle changes then watch the results. Also get a list of the g-codes. May also post your question in the general discusion group. Some knowledgeable people there. I have yet to try programs like surfcam and bobcad. I believe those programs sketch an object similar to CAD and then converts to g-code.

I download some engraving software which is amazing. Type your name and the software converts it g-code. Load it in the machine and it engraves. Need to quit playing around and try some serious g-code programming of my own. No waiting in line to try a program like at school now that I have my own machine in my basement.
Good luck
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Getting access to and using the machine is the best way to learn. (I learned that way too). Get ahold of the operators manual for the machine(s) you will be using as there are as many ways to program the new machines as there are machine makers (everybody thinks their way is best mentality). I use G-code programming and found it easy to learn (teach myself) and the most customizable to various applications.
For a listing of CNC training materials, see
http://www.cncci.com/
This stuff is geared towards teachers but may be of some value to you as well.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
FrankG

Post by FrankG »

Jim,

Do you have a web-site that describes the process you went through in the construction of the CNC Mill... It looks great!

At this point I'm just a CNC WannaBe, but by the spring or early summer I intend to focus on a simple 3 axis mill for cutting Foam patterns for Lost-Foam Casting...
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Hi Frank;

Nope, no website yet. My machine is just 3 homemade linear slides. Two slide stacked for x/y and the "Z" mounted to brackets. I have pics in the photo album on this sight.

The linear slides used either Thompson ball bearing or Pacific linear bearings and Thompson shafting. The shafts are supported by bored pockets in some endplates. The endplates also support and drive the feedscrews also bearing mounted. The slide itself is blocks of aluminum bored for the linear bearings. Mount a nut somewhere on the slide and you got it.

Never took the time to make drawing but can send digital pics of what I did.
Jim

JimGlass

Re: another pic (end plate)

Post by JimGlass »

Posting a second time just to show another pic. Don't know how to post more than one pic at a time.
Jim