Is there a DIY CNC conference coming up in Chicago?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

dorin

Post by dorin »

-Mike
www.chaski.com
Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry »

There used to be the CNC Workshop in Galesburg, IL (100+ miles SW of Chicago) but the guy that ran it decided to "retire" from the Workshop business. It was an informal gathering of Mach3 and EMC users. So far as I know, no one else has taken it over.
Mike, near Chicago
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I went to that CNC workshop in "07". Parked my motorhome on the lawn for 4 or 5 days. I had a great time and met a ton of interesting people.

I personally met the guy that wrote MACH 3. His name is Art.

To bad the CNC workshop will be no more unless someone gets it going again.

A CNC or manufacturing workshop would be a good thing for some junior college to start doing. Kishwaukee Junior College near Dekalb and 60 miles West of Chicago would be a good candidate.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
sch

Post by sch »

A few developments are alluded to at the yahoo group cncworkshop
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CNCWORKSHOP/messages.

This does not actually get you to the page, you have to register with yahoo, a
triviality, then go to groups and search for the group in caps above to
see the messages.
Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry »

An aquaintance mentioned that Village Press may be doing the workshop next year, but that would may be in Michigan somewhere near their offices.
Mike, near Chicago
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

We are making progress in pulling together what will be the First Annual Digital Machinist CNC Workshop. The site and dates have been decided on at this time. I’ll post more details about the event when they are finalized.

The location and dates are:

Washtenaw Community College
Ann Arbor, MI

June 22 through the 25th 2010

The workshop is a continuation of the one originally hosted by Roland Friestad at his shop in Galesburg IL. With Roland’s retirement and subsequent sale of his shop, he chose to pass the responsibilities along to us, though he will still be an important part of the workshop.

We hope to make few changes to the format of the workshop. Our intention is to keep the focus on educational seminars geared to those interested in hobby and low cost CNC software, hardware, and use.

We have had a great deal of interest from those hoping to give seminars and I think we will have an interesting mix of subjects.

George
I found this info at the Home Shop Machinist Forum. I plan to go.
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com