NEW TO ME CNC MILL TMC 1000

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

V8 BUG

Re: NEW TO ME CNC MILL TMC 1000

Post by V8 BUG »

I will definatly save all of the electronics for the spindle. It works pretty good. Princess auto has a Digital Laser tach on sale here for 29.99 for the rpms for now. This way i can check if the electronics in the machine are correct for rpm. There is a guy on the net that has retrofit one of these machines with double shaft steppers so he could use it manually. I was thinking that would be easier for using my edge finder to pick-up zero until i can get a handwheel. I was going to do exactly what you suggested with the case. I plugged the unit in and found no power coming out of the power supply. I was just checking the taps on the coil.(not sure thats correct) If I keep that power supply do I need to regulate it somehow? What about the capasitors on that board? Do I need those. I am sorry for the questions as I am not an electronics guy at all.

Thanks for your .02 cents its worth more than that to me.

Kevin
BUILDING IT IS MORE FUN THAN BUYING IT
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Just remember the G540 is limited to 50VDC power supply. Check your steppers and make sure the current/voltage is inline with the G540.

John B
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

V8 BUG wrote:I will definatly save all of the electronics for the spindle. It works pretty good. Princess auto has a Digital Laser tach on sale here for 29.99 for the rpms for now. This way i can check if the electronics in the machine are correct for rpm. There is a guy on the net that has retrofit one of these machines with double shaft steppers so he could use it manually. I was thinking that would be easier for using my edge finder to pick-up zero until i can get a handwheel. I was going to do exactly what you suggested with the case. I plugged the unit in and found no power coming out of the power supply. I was just checking the taps on the coil.(not sure thats correct) If I keep that power supply do I need to regulate it somehow? What about the capasitors on that board? Do I need those. I am sorry for the questions as I am not an electronics guy at all.

Thanks for your .02 cents its worth more than that to me.

Kevin

Kevin, follow the leads of the transformer, one pair will go to AC the other pair will be your output. Set your meter to AC and check the output of the transformer. EASY to install a bridge rectifier and capacitor both fairly cheap. Lets find out what your transformer outputs. I can not see from the picture where the leads from the transformer go. They will head straight to a bridge rectifier and fairly large capacitor. I can not see if they are built onto the circuit board or not.

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

Not too good with 120v's so I tested the unit and found no power comming out of the transformer. There were missing fuses and fuse caps on the unit. After reading some more on that power supply I decided to purchase a PS from Keling with 48v 12.5A. I decided it was not worth messing up the g540. So I am waiting for my shipment consisting of a power supply 3 nema 23 387 motors and a Gecko G540 board. I will gut the original box and fit the new stuff in. I would like to keep the 120v power sockets so I can plug in the spindle plugs and eventually control spindle on and off by switching those plugs on and off.
Thanks Marty for the help and I am sure I will have questions in the near future about hooking all this stuff up.

kevin
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

V8 BUG wrote:Not too good with 120v's so I tested the unit and found no power comming out of the transformer. There were missing fuses and fuse caps on the unit. After reading some more on that power supply I decided to purchase a PS from Keling with 48v 12.5A. I decided it was not worth messing up the g540. So I am waiting for my shipment consisting of a power supply 3 nema 23 387 motors and a Gecko G540 board. I will gut the original box and fit the new stuff in. I would like to keep the 120v power sockets so I can plug in the spindle plugs and eventually control spindle on and off by switching those plugs on and off.
Thanks Marty for the help and I am sure I will have questions in the near future about hooking all this stuff up.

kevin
You bought quite a large power supply. Be sure you match your stepper motors to the G540 and don't exceed the G540's current rating or you may not get proper performance from your steppers.

Marty
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

The reason for the larger power supply is for future addition of the 4th axis motor. I want to make a 4th rotary axis eventually. The guy at Keling suggested that one for future expansion. G540 is good up to 50v. He does sell a package with that power supply a g540 and 4 motors. I am just not getting the 4th motor yet. Hope its ok and I will watch out. Smoke is expensive.

thanks

Kevin
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

V8 BUG wrote:The reason for the larger power supply is for future addition of the 4th axis motor. I want to make a 4th rotary axis eventually. The guy at Keling suggested that one for future expansion. G540 is good up to 50v. He does sell a package with that power supply a g540 and 4 motors. I am just not getting the 4th motor yet. Hope its ok and I will watch out. Smoke is expensive.

thanks

Kevin
Sounds like a plan, have fun!
Marty
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

OK...just recieved the Keling package today at work. Now to find time to get to testing. My son and I will have fun for sure.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

V8 BUG wrote:OK...just recieved the Keling package today at work. Now to find time to get to testing. My son and I will have fun for sure.
Take pictures and keep us posted of your progress.
Marty
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

Been working on stripping the old wiring harness from the mill. I isolated the dc spindle wiring and removed everyting else. The limit switches are all plug in so that was nice. I left all of the switches alone and will just test each one before I rewire to new control. I found that I needed a new contact on my e-stop to convert from NO to NC. The original switch had 2 contactors which were NO. After exhausting most of my local industrial stores, I was sitting at my desk at work when one of our electrical contractors came to visit me. I said that he was just the guy i needed to see and showed him the old switch. After explaining what I needed he laughed and said....I have one on the seat of my truck, hold on I'll go get it. It was removed from a new install in a local plant and he had doubled up on an e-stop when he didn't need to. He removed it right before he had come to see us. I tried to pay him but he wouldn't take anything for it.

Thats all for now...more pics to come.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

V8 BUG wrote:Been working on stripping the old wiring harness from the mill. I isolated the dc spindle wiring and removed everyting else. The limit switches are all plug in so that was nice. I left all of the switches alone and will just test each one before I rewire to new control. I found that I needed a new contact on my e-stop to convert from NO to NC. The original switch had 2 contactors which were NO. After exhausting most of my local industrial stores, I was sitting at my desk at work when one of our electrical contractors came to visit me. I said that he was just the guy i needed to see and showed him the old switch. After explaining what I needed he laughed and said....I have one on the seat of my truck, hold on I'll go get it. It was removed from a new install in a local plant and he had doubled up on an e-stop when he didn't need to. He removed it right before he had come to see us. I tried to pay him but he wouldn't take anything for it.

Thats all for now...more pics to come.
Lucky break, they are about $4 on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170520711348
You are on your way!
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

Wow, i had not checked there for a whole new switch. PLC center had the contact I needed but a $25 min charge with another $10 in shipping for an $8 part. I had our local electrical supply quote and it came in at $83. That's crazy.