New open source, DIY desktop CNC mill

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

heisler0

Re: New open source, DIY desktop CNC mill

Post by heisler0 »

Has anyone tried one of these yet? I am thinking of ordering one for learning on just wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this?
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

I have bigger machines. You can't beat the price for a complete kit with a nice closed loop control. I think you will get great support from Jeff.
If you or anyone else buys one, please consider doing a build log here and tell us how it goes.
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
ng_2-4-2

Post by ng_2-4-2 »

heisler0 wrote:Has anyone tried one of these yet? I am thinking of ordering one for learning on just wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this?
If you do buy one of these, I will send you some NC progams of gears I made for my wooden gear clock. You don't have to build a clock, but it's kind of fun to watch the machine cut out the gears. All of the gears for my clock are cut out of cheap plywood I got at Home Depot. I can also help you get started with programming. I have a source for a good cad program and can steer you in the direction for an affordable cam program.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

ng_2-4-2 wrote:
heisler0 wrote:Has anyone tried one of these yet? I am thinking of ordering one for learning on just wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this?
If you do buy one of these, I will send you some NC progams of gears I made for my wooden gear clock. You don't have to build a clock, but it's kind of fun to watch the machine cut out the gears. All of the gears for my clock are cut out of cheap plywood I got at Home Depot. I can also help you get started with programming. I have a source for a good cad program and can steer you in the direction for an affordable cam program.
You opened yourself up on that one! :-)
I'd love to get a copy of the G code for gears and am interested in hearing about the cam program. Sheetcam is coming highly recommended for 2D machining.

Marty
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

I think with an offer like that I might have to pull the trigger!!
schilpr

Post by schilpr »

I like the open source side of this.

Where is the source? would like the drawings and partslist so I can modify/optimize and build one to my own liking.

What license is it released under?

Rob
Thank you,

Rob
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Well I ordered some of the parts this morning(Sheet metal and Hardware) hopefully in the next week or two can pick up the rest. After everything has arrive I will start another thread on the build and encounters along the way.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

heisler0 wrote:Well I ordered some of the parts this morning(Sheet metal and Hardware) hopefully in the next week or two can pick up the rest. After everything has arrive I will start another thread on the build and encounters along the way.
Excellent! By all means, post pics here along the way!
Marty
lobocnc

Post by lobocnc »

schilpr wrote:I like the open source side of this.

Where is the source? would like the drawings and partslist so I can modify/optimize and build one to my own liking.

What license is it released under?

Rob
The drawings and part list are all at http://lobocnc.com/parts.html . The software source is at http://lobocnc.com/software.html . No license (or warranty) - just use as you see fit.

-Jeff
lobocnc.com