G-Simple is NOT!

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

toddalin

G-Simple is NOT!

Post by toddalin »

I keep getting "No suitable tool/pair found for pocket 2" errors when trying to make a simple 1/2" diameter/1/2" deep slot even though I've included endmills down to 1/8" diameter and lenghts of up to 2".

What gives? I just want to generate code and don't really care about the suitablilty if a certain type of material to the mill bit, etc.
Bruce_Mowbray

Re: G-Simple is NOT!

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

This is one of the reasons why I don't care for most conversational CAM programs. The programmer has to follow someone else's idea of what should be happening during the machining process. G code is not really hard to learn. Once you write a few programs it does become logical. Do you have the ability to use regular g-code? Perhaps I can help with simple program and a few pointers or, perhaps a rundown on basic g-code programing.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

Are your pocket's corners square or radiused?
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

Radiused, and the radius is bigger than the tool.

It would seem to me that if I wanted to make 3/8"-wide, 3.125"-long slot with rounded 180* ends, the simplest way would be to use a 3/8" diameter tool and plunge a hole at the end and cut the slot, and pull the tool in one simple pass.

But G-simple wants me to use a 1/8" diameter tool and zig-zag its way along the slot in a whole bunch of steps. That doesn't seem very efficient to me.

Even using a 1/8" diameter tool, I would think to do it in just three longitudinal passes with 180* turns at the ends (or even six passes using half the tool), the way that I would cut a long, thin lawn.

What am I missing here?
Rick

Post by Rick »

This may or may not be your issue but its something to look at.
Check to see if the software is trying to add a lead in or lead out rad for finishing the side walls. I have seen this issue before with some Cam software and machines with conversational programming. Just as an examle older Hurco's use this and it is overcome by changing the lead in / out rad or picking the tangent option so the cutter comes down tangent to the wall. What happens is the lead in/out rad is bigger that the slot / pocket width which causes an error.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Are you able to use variables? I have a slot macro with 6 variables. You just enter length, width, tool number, total depth, step down depth and stock to leave for finish. Then it ramps down staying away and does a finish pass at the end. Works every time.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

My problem is that when I tell it to use a tool that I've defined, it says that the tool is not usable for the situation, which in this case seems ridiculous to me.

For example, if I want to cut a 1/2" deep slot pattern that is 3/8" wide and 3.125" long and tell it that I want to use a 1/8" dia tool, that is 2" long, with two flutes, that I've defined with no other parameters (e.g., type metal), it tells me the tool is unacceptable. :?:
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Going on my intuition, I would not want to use a 1/8" Endmill that is 2 inches long either. Why not try something more reasonable. A 1/4" endmill that is 3/4" long would be reasonable. I am not familiar with Simple-G, but perhaps it recognizes the "impractical" endmill as an error.

Just trying to help.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

Bruce_Mowbray wrote:Going on my intuition, I would not want to use a 1/8" Endmill that is 2 inches long either. Why not try something more reasonable. A 1/4" endmill that is 3/4" long would be reasonable. I am not familiar with Simple-G, but perhaps it recognizes the "impractical" endmill as an error.

Just trying to help.
Because this is to cut into wood and the final cut would be 1.75" deep so I told the program that the block was 1.75" thick so it wouldn't assume that I crash the tool. I just wanted to generate the code to do it for the wood cutout.

Ultimately, I did pretty much figure out how to manipulate the program using their "library" bits.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

not knowing anything about this particular software, but knowing a lot about other software 'logic', i can guess that the cutting height - flute length - of the tool was too small, or the shank size was too large...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Kevin45

Post by Kevin45 »

I know this answer is way late, and I am curious as to what the OP found out, but my guess is the cutter comp was wrong.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

It was a matter of properly entering the bit parameters into the library.