Windows 8 and bobcad V21

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Richard_W

Windows 8 and bobcad V21

Post by Richard_W »

I bought Bobcad V21 and went and got a new laptop with windows 8 on it. When I loaded Bobcad V21 I got the icon on the desktop, but when I try to open it nothing happens. Then I read for XP and older versions of windows. Anyway at work one of the guys got Bobcad V21 to work on his windows 7 laptop, but he was sent a patch from the reseller. My copy is registered to me and my work time make it impossible to speak with the support at Bobcad. I am pretty much limited to email and it's proving to be a waste of my time. Because if I don't reply with in a certain time frame they assume the problem is fixed which it isn't.

So my question is where do I get the patch for windows 7 to put on my windows 8 laptop? My understanding is windows 7 and windows 8 are basically the same with a different user look.

If I can't get it to work on windows 8, then the new laptop goes back to the store.

Richard W.
Bill Shields

Re: Windows 8 and bobcad V21

Post by Bill Shields »

this may sound silly, but if you are a registered owner / user, why don't you try an e-mail query to bob, or their www support site. :roll:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Bill Shields wrote:this may sound silly, but if you are a registered owner / user, why don't you try an e-mail query to bob, or their www support site. :roll:
I have been playing email tag with them and they only phone when I am not home. I call them after work and they are closed. Some customer no service they have going on.

Richard W.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

that is unfortunate that you are on the west coast and BobCAD is in FL if I remember correctly.

I can suggest that you just continue to send polite e-mails, requesting help.

Being frustrated is natural, but will do little to assist with resolution of your problem with direct support.

Perhaps the Practical Machinist BobCAD forum can help where they have specific sections to answer questions for specific software.

FYI: Microsoft is no longer supporting XP, and Vista is soon to also dissapear from the support list.

As a result, the company I work for (and many other CAM companies) are no longer supporting the XP specific graphics libraries, so getting a new XP machine may be a problem. Our Win 7/8 software runs fine on XP, but there are a few things that are not 'quite' right with dialog boxes, but there is little we can do about it.

I used to work for Microcompatibles, the company that originally (almost 30 years go), provided Bob T. with the graphic library on which the original BobCAD was built. We were always amazed at what he could do what something that was not originally intended for that purpose.

Did you try running the software in 'compatibility mode'? Many times this fixes all of the ills.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Bill Shields wrote:that is unfortunate that you are on the west coast and BobCAD is in FL if I remember correctly.
That is my understanding.
Bill Shields wrote:Did you try running the software in 'compatibility mode'? Many times this fixes all of the ills.
How do you do that?

Richard W.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

oh boy, a Windows lesson. I do not know Windows 8, but for 7 and below:

Right click on the shortcut that launches the application
Select Properties
Select tab -> Compatability
Check box "run in compatability mode"
Select the version available that you want to use.

If that doesn't work, then you will really need to speak to someone at BobCAD.

I see that they are selling V25, and you state you are on V21.

They may require you to purchase an upgrade and / or be on some type of maintenance agreement to jump 4 versions - our company would. I do not know their policies regarding this, but do not be surprised.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Bill Shields wrote:oh boy, a Windows lesson. I do not know Windows 8, but for 7 and below:

Right click on the shortcut that launches the application
Select Properties
Select tab -> Compatability
Check box "run in compatability mode"
Select the version available that you want to use.

If that doesn't work, then you will really need to speak to someone at BobCAD.

I see that they are selling V25, and you state you are on V21.
Actually they sent me the same directions, only thing is they said to uncheck "run in compatability mode" then check "run this program as adminstrator". Seems to work on window 7 as that is the computer I down loaded the right version that I paid for. But I want it on my new windows 8 laptop. Going to try it here in a bit. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Richard W.