Dyna DM4400

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Dyna DM4400

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

I thought I would post some links to the machine I have been retroffitting the control on. It is a small-ish VMC. Its a very nice Taiwanese import, brought over and fitted by Dyna Mechtronics with their own control. Their earlier controls were SKIP based. Later machines were fitted with Mitsubishi Meldas M3 controls. Quite a nice machine. Mine was SKIP controlled. I have had it since last August and have been working on it usually one day out of the weekend since.

Recently I have begun working on the Automatic Tool Changer M06 macro. I'm waiting for a little help from Flashcut, though I managed to get several macros put together:

Many pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1182300513 ... DynaDM4400

Still have a ways to go....
Fun for me, but I would not encourage one to take such an undertaking lightly. There is a lot of work and expense in such a conversion.

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Bill Shields

Re: Dyna DM4400

Post by Bill Shields »

sometimes it is just easier to make a protected subroutine in the control that you use before / after the M6 command.

The subroutine contains all the M-codes needed to do all the changer requires, in the desired order.

M98 P1234 Tt (GO TO TOOL CHANGE, passing argument "T" as tool number)
M98 P1235 (Return from tool change, ready to go)
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Bill Shields wrote:sometimes it is just easier to make a protected subroutine in the control that you use before / after the M6 command.

The subroutine contains all the M-codes needed to do all the changer requires, in the desired order.

M98 P1234 Tt (GO TO TOOL CHANGE, passing argument "T" as tool number)
M98 P1235 (Return from tool change, ready to go)
Hi Bill, the Flashcut control has the ability to control the ATC. In this case I'm not very familiar with its language. Flashcut Engineers are offering me some assistance. Most of the macro is written.

Marty
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

That's cool.

Most ATCs are run on ladder logic.

You just need to know the addresses of each device
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Bill Shields wrote:That's cool.

In this case it is built into the software and not a PLC type of programming language. Lots of IF THEN ELSE, ENDIF statements. Most of which I follow but ran into a problem with the software not liking my M06 macro once I pulled it all together. Flashcut Engineers have the macro file and are trying to determine what the issue is.

Marty
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Bill Shields wrote:That's cool.

In this case it is built into the software and not a PLC type of programming language. Lots of IF THEN ELSE, ENDIF statements. Most of which I follow but ran into a problem with the software not liking my M06 macro once I pulled it all together. Flashcut Engineers have the macro file and are trying to determine what the issue is.

Marty
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

interesting...

sounds a bit awkward, but no reason it should not work.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Engineers sent me a macro to try out....
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

Marty_Escarcega wrote:I thought I would post some links to the machine I have been retroffitting the control on. It is a small-ish VMC. Its a very nice Taiwanese import, brought over and fitted by Dyna Mechtronics with their own control. Their earlier controls were SKIP based. Later machines were fitted with Mitsubishi Meldas M3 controls. Quite a nice machine. Mine was SKIP controlled. I have had it since last August and have been working on it usually one day out of the weekend since.

Recently I have begun working on the Automatic Tool Changer M06 macro. I'm waiting for a little help from Flashcut, though I managed to get several macros put together:

Many pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1182300513 ... DynaDM4400

Still have a ways to go....
Fun for me, but I would not encourage one to take such an undertaking lightly. There is a lot of work and expense in such a conversion.

Marty
That's cool Marty. Now you need to make the tool changer bidirectional.

BTW, it was really great to finally put a face with a name Saturday. My truck sure did ride different after we took 900 pounds of machinery out of the bed. It rode like a Ford on the way to Blythe, and like a Chevy on the return trip.

I stopped in Palm Springs on the way home. It was just plain frigging hot there. It was 111 degrees.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Mid Day Machining wrote:

That's cool Marty. Now you need to make the tool changer bidirectional.

BTW, it was really great to finally put a face with a name Saturday. My truck sure did ride different after we took 900 pounds of machinery out of the bed. It rode like a Ford on the way to Blythe, and like a Chevy on the return trip.

I stopped in Palm Springs on the way home. It was just plain frigging hot there. It was 111 degrees.
Indeed, it would have been nice if we could have visited more.
Tool changer macro is fixed. ATC is running bidirectional and taking the shortest path to the next tool. I am going to fine tune the ATC tomorrow.

Marty
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

All, my Dyna DM4400 with ATC is now running well. I had to build a new spindle control board to fix the voltage that goes to the large Spindle servo amplifier to get the spindle to consistently orient properly. Here is a 9 minute video of it machining a prototype part out of MDF. (MDF is great for a rookie like me!) :P
(I have to optimize the G code, I'm using a drilling cycle and the head pulls up to Z0 and then comes back down)

Converting a VMC with ATC was challenging (lots of I/O) but its what I wanted to try. It took me about a year working fairly consistently on it. It was a lot of fun. My background is I am electrician by trade, but have spent the last 27 years in Traffic Signals. I have good basic electronic skills.

Marty
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

Wow Marty, that's cool, but man do you need to brush up on your programming skills.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.