Always climb milling?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

hobgobbln

Always climb milling?

Post by hobgobbln »

I've been watching a lot of CNC videos lately in preparation of my X3 conversion. I noticed that in almost every video they are climb milling for the entire part.

Is that the preferred way on a CNC? I thought you saved climb milling for the finish pass unless you had very stiff machine with a high HP motor.

Griz
GlennW

Re: Always climb milling?

Post by GlennW »

Climb milling is generally preferred if your machine is ball screw equipped. Cutter life is increased and finish finish is better, unless you are working with wood, in which conventional milling seems to leave a better finish.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

don't forget that the tool will not undercut by pulling itself into the work, thereby removing more material than programmed.

When roughing, it really doesn't matter unless you are interested in retracting and retracing a lot of path.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
hobgobbln

Post by hobgobbln »

Bill Shields wrote:When roughing, it really doesn't matter unless you are interested in retracting and retracing a lot of path.
Sorry, I don't know what you mean.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

hobgobbln wrote:Sorry, I don't know what you mean.
You sometimes do mixed climb and conventional (raster) when roughing to keep the tool from lifting and rapiding back to the start to do only climb milling passes, unless you can mill in a continuous race track pattern.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

When you're conventional milling, you're not really cutting your material, it looks more like you're just pushing it out of the way.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

not even close to being true (pushing it out of the way).

The mechanism is different than conventional, but it is still very much cutting.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Rick

Post by Rick »

When you're conventional milling, you're not really cutting your material, it looks more like you're just pushing it out of the way
I think what Mid Day is trying to convey is that in climb milling the cutter enters the material much cleaner than conventional milling. There is much less "rubbing" of the cutting edge in climb milling as the cut starts at near full chip load unlike conventional where the cutter starts tangent then builds to the full chip load.
Attachments
fig05-07.gif
fig05-07.gif (6.71 KiB) Viewed 5943 times
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"