G4003G Conversion

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Dave_C

Re: G4003G Conversion

Post by Dave_C »

Marty,

This was my first conversion. I thought on it for over a year, I drew a lot of trial parts tying to get the zero backlash issue worked out in the space I had to work with and did a lot of planning in my head.

I have a mill and would love to do a conversion on it but my mill only has 6" of Y travel and that makes the project too expensive for such a small tool path. (Grizzly G3103) plus it lacks the rigidity needed for CNC unless I just took very small cuts.

Would I do anything differently? No, nothing major. I could change a few mounting plates or dimensions now that I have a working machine and can see all the clearances but hardly worth remaking anything to do it now.

As far as the budget, I thought I could do it for around $3,000.00 and by the time I bought all the nick knacks, bolts, trim parts, software licenses, flood system and some tooling it went over $4,000.00. But considering I bought the machine over 5 years ago when they were $2,600.00 I still ended up with a good solid D1-5 head stock, a 12 x 36 bed and full CNC capability for what I thought was decent expense.

I should have taken some video of the big chunk of aluminum that I turned the drain cup out of. It was 5.5" round by 3" long. It made a nice pile of swarf, not long strings like I used to make! The finish was just great with nice round radius on all the corners.

I posted some pics under the BobCad thread although I did not use Bobcad to make this part, jsut the wizards in Mach 3.

I'll make one more video when I get the chip/splash guard made. Then everyone can see the final machine. Right now I have to figure out how to work with polycarbonate material since I sold all my wood working equipment!

Thanks for the kind words,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

You did a great job and the electrical enclosure is very clean. Not a spider webbed rats nest. May I ask what you do for a living? I would venture you have electrical/electronic background judging from how clean and well thought out the cabinet is.

Congrats!
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Marty,

I'm retired now but I had a long career with Johnson Controls doing Building Automation Control. Lots of control work, panel wiring, HVAC trouble shooting and design, Chillers, Boilers, pumps and all that commercial and Institutional equipment stuff.

My last 17 years was onsite at Missouri State University where I had over 35,000 points under control. So lots of loop tuning, PID tuning, custom control strategies and a few avoided lawsuits because someones Chiller or Boiler did not work as it should. I got to fix a few of those as an extra.

I took up the Lathe and Mill about 5 years ago and most of the education for them came from this web site and from all the great members who help answer questions.

I've been a blessed person to have many gifts that just needed someone to point me in the right direction, the desire to learn, a desire to do it right and the determination to stay with it. Being raised on a farm may have a lot to do with it!

I'd love to take on a mill project and do a similar conversion but I don't think it is in the budget.

Dave C.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

DrDavo wrote:Marty,

I'm retired now but I had a long career with Johnson Controls doing Building Automation Control. Lots of control work, panel wiring, HVAC trouble shooting and design, Chillers, Boilers, pumps and all that commercial and Institutional equipment stuff.

My last 17 years was onsite at Missouri State University where I had over 35,000 points under control. So lots of loop tuning, PID tuning, custom control strategies and a few avoided lawsuits because someones Chiller or Boiler did not work as it should. I got to fix a few of those as an extra.

I took up the Lathe and Mill about 5 years ago and most of the education for them came from this web site and from all the great members who help answer questions.

I've been a blessed person to have many gifts that just needed someone to point me in the right direction, the desire to learn, a desire to do it right and the determination to stay with it. Being raised on a farm may have a lot to do with it!

I'd love to take on a mill project and do a similar conversion but I don't think it is in the budget.

Dave C.
That explains the thought into the wiring you did. Great job Dave. Suggestion, watch for a small CNC mill with a dead control. Then convert it. Since you are in no hurry, one may cross your path.
Thank you for sharing your journey on the lathe conversion with those of us on the Chaski group. Please keep us posted on how you get along with it. What CAD software and CAM software you end up with. Sounds like you are using the lathe wizards for now?

Regards,
Marty
Contract_Pilot

Post by Contract_Pilot »

I like it! Clean Build. What drawings are available per your last video? You said you had some in Microsoft Visio. I like the replacement block for the compound slide! I was told it is not needed for CNC but seen a lot of Conversions where they leave it on. To me leaving the compound on when not needed can cause error down the road.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I don't have much worth sharing. Most of what I drew was just on scale paper. I've had a lot of request to make this as a kit but it was way to labor intensive to even think about such a project. One reason is I don't have a CNC mill and would have to make way to many parts by hand.

I'm working with a person from Washington right now trying to help him with his G4003G conversion. Even just doing emails and trying to explain the project is a lot of work.

I'm not sure the way I made the double ball Nuts is the best way to go. There are some new square ball nuts out there today that are zero backlash. I could not find such an animal when I did my conversion.

Other than that, just look at Brian Tilden's and my videos and they pretty much show how to do what we did.

I tried to show good pictures on this thread so anyone could do the job.

Best of luck if you want to do this conversion. It makes a nice machine!

Dave C.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I finally got time to work on the Chuck Guard for the CNC conversion. After three attempts, I finally got a design that will let me lift the top portion as high as I need and maybe even use a magnet to hold it open. Or I may use a spring loaded over center lift spring, we'll see.

So the foam prototype is done and fits like I wanted. Now to see if I can find someone to make it in polycarbonate. If I still had my woodworking tools I would do it myself, but I don't.

Here is the end shot:
MVC00079.JPG
And one from the other side:
MVC00078.JPG
And the two parts:
MVC00077.JPG
I sent it our for quotes, now to see if I can afford it! If not, I'll just lay it up with Kevlar or Carbon Fiber and cut in a poly window to look through..
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Nice work Davo....keep us posted on the progress of the guard to sheet metal.
Marty
Contract_Pilot

Post by Contract_Pilot »

Would really like to get a drawing of the block the tool post sits on.

I want to do something like that but make it .250 shorter to be able to use the 1" tool holders.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Well, I didn't make a drawing for the tool post. It is just 2 pieces of aluminum. Make it as wide as the cross slide and the bottom block is 1/2" short of the desired height. Put a hole in the top 1/2" plate the size of your tool post t-nut then slot the back side to hold the t-nut so it can't turn.

Then put 4 80 degree shoulder screws. Then cut the angles on the sides to suit your taste.

You can study mine in more detail in the videos under DrDavoCHP on U-tube.

The tricky part is getting the four long screw holes where none of them hit the Gib or screw in the cross slide.

So you'll end up with four long screws holding down the bottom block to the cross slide and then four shorter ones to hold the top 1/2" plate on.

Dave C.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Wow how time goes by:

I made the model for this chuck/splash guard over a year ago and I just now got around to making it. It is almost done but still lacks a few stiffeners, the handle and the lift to latch lift to release hold open device.

It is made of 24 Gauge aluminum and has a Poly-carbonate view window. Lots of aluminum blind rivets and about 44 SS socket head screw in the window. It would have been stiffer with 20 gauge material but 20 gauge gets hard for these old hands to cut. I think it will hold coolant and chips and that is all it intended to do!
Notice the angles so the gear shift levers can move all the way to the right if needed!
Notice the angles so the gear shift levers can move all the way to the right if needed!
I thought about putting a second window in front and may do so later!
I thought about putting a second window in front and may do so later!
Showing the bottom half that is not quite finished.
Showing the bottom half that is not quite finished.
That's all for now!

Dave C.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Nice Work, Dave!
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...