Ethernet to Smooth Stepper to Parallel port

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

JimGlass

Ethernet to Smooth Stepper to Parallel port

Post by JimGlass »

Most of us know newer computers come without the parallel port. The port many of us use
to control our homebuilt CNC projects. The computer I use to run my CNC Bridgeport is
a Compaq WIN98 laptop still running Turbocnc, a DOS program and transferring data with
3 1/2 floppy disks.

A good friend of mine gave me 3 Dell laptop computers, all with the XP operating systems. He thought I could use the computers in my shop. I thought now is my chance to retire the Compaq computer. But first I would need to get a parallel port attached to these Dell computers.

I did some research and came up with a "Smooth Stepper" circuit board that connected to a computer Ethernet port and converted data to a parallel connector. There are Smooth Stepper boards that connect via the USB but the Ethernet connections had the most recommendations. I purchased the Smooth Stepper from Warp9.

The way Smooth Stepper works is you set up a small network between the computer and Smooth Stepper. Networking is something I have never done before so it was all new to me.

First, the Warp9 users manual was tailored to the Windows 7 operating system so I was constantly converting the instructions from Windows 7 protocol to Window XP. I did it but with added stress.
The computer should also have a wireless internet access in order to do the "Configure" process. Other than that, follow the instructions carefully. My greatest challenge was not knowing when the network was working. Now I know when the amber light is on and the green light is blinking there is communication between the computer and the Smooth Stepper board.

Next I needed to get the Smooth Stepper to work with Mach3. Smooth Stepper is intended to work with Mach3. Not sure if Smooth Stepper works with other software. This was the largest challenge because I failed to turn some things on in the Mach3 "Config". Of course Mach3 didn't work and I figured the problem was with the Smooth Stepper. When the green surface lights appear on the surface of the Smooth Stepper it is fully operational.

There are just a couple of special settings to be made in Mach3 in order to work with the Smooth Stepper.
Those settings are clearly described in the Warp9 manual.

Finally I had to call the Warp9 tech support guy. In just a few minutes the Smooth Stepper was running
my CNC mill. It seems to work just like the old parallel port. Spindle and coolant output functional. I have test run a few programs but I have yet to cut any chips.

My milling machine seems to run a little smoother.
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Ethernet to Smooth Stepper to Parallel port

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Smooth stepper is the motion controller. You might try and retune your stepper motors to see if you can gain more speed out of them. I've heard good things about Smooth stepper, I have yet to try it though. Keep us posted on the before and after performance of your machine Jim.

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

My old Bridgeport CNC seems to run better with the smooth stepper. I was running the Bridgeport with a WIN98 laptop and DOS software. Now I run the Bridgeport with a DELL, XP laptop running
Mach3. Much better plus transfer files with USB instead of floppy disks. Prabably advanced myself
10 or more years.

Thinking of buying another Warp9 smooth stepper and setting up another Dell laptop as a backup or to run my CNC lathe.
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
woodguy

Post by woodguy »

I have smoothsteppers on both my mill and CNC router. On the Mill I used the USB version and on the router the ethernet version. While both work perfectly, the usb version requires more care in layout of the cabling in your installation because it is much more prone to fail due to electrical noise. I had so much trouble with noise in my original install (on the mill) that I redesigned the cabinetry and moved the mill on to the new cabinet to isolate the cabling better. I've had no problems since.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Smooth Steppers are awesome! Some people don't follow the simple instructions and try to do it all manually. Not necessary as the smooth stepper comes with a program (you have to download it from Warp 9) that will set up the smooth stepper for you.

I had no wireless internet connect or anything else. I installed mine in two minutes or less and it works perfectly! You do have to set up a static IP address for your computer so the ESS can connect. That does differ depending on what Win version you are using.

One of the secrets with Mach 3 is to not have any other drivers installed before you try to install the smooth stepper. (IE: Parallel port or USB drivers) Then the ESS driver installs with ease and loads automatically when you open Mach 3.

Can't say the ESS will work with anything other that Mach 3 as Warp 9 seems to indicate it was made for Mach 3. (Just an observation and may not be a complete observation at that)

I love mine!

Dave C
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.