Basic Stepper Motor Drive Question

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

atomarc

Basic Stepper Motor Drive Question

Post by atomarc »

I am a green pea when it comes to any type of stepper or servo control..this question may seem real dumb! Is there a simple stepper, step and direction control that is self contained. By self contained I mean a program is configured and loaded onto/into a processor on a control board and hence forth there is no need for a connection to a computer of any sort.

What I want to end up with is a package containing the power supply, the controller and motor but nothing else..no connection to any type of PC. I envision configuring a program on the appropriate software and downloading it to some E prom or whatever in the controller, then disconnecting the PC and being able to initiate that program at will..forever!

Does any of this make sense? I have looked at the Arduino stuff and the Gecko stuff but for some reason get the idea that a PC or PLC is always connected for the system to run.

Stuart
Rick

Re: Basic Stepper Motor Drive Question

Post by Rick »

They are out there just google "stepper motor with integrated drive and controller".
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
atomarc

Post by atomarc »

I have looked at those things and it appears they still need a connection to some source for their step and direction control. I am looking for something that has a on-board programmable storage source so I don't have to be tethered to a PC.

I think the little Arduino units are mini-PLC's that can be programed with all kinds of parameters and will then work in a stand-alone mode. I am still trying to get a handle on how theses components tie together and what they do.

Stuart
Rick

Post by Rick »

Stuart

Look a little closer at some of the units that have an "intergrated controller" They can be stand alone for simple indexing etc. They all need something to trigger them to start the index/ cycle.

Check out

http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/s ... motor.html
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
atomarc

Post by atomarc »

Rick,

Thanks for the link...that looks more like what I had in mind..if I understand it correctly. I'll do some more hunting and research work to get more familiarized with the system.

Stuart
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Just happens I made a control like you describe a few weeks ago. There are countless controllers on the market to run steppers and servos but most of them require a computer connection for programming. The control I made is a stand alone control and can be programmed without a computer. The control is intended for controlling an indexer but could be used to run a stepper for a number of other jobs. The control can run an indexer by degrees, by number of divisions, continuous run plus forward and reverse. It is also programmable but I have yet to use that feature. I made it for just a little over $100 but I had some junk already on hand. The stepper control has already been handy to have.

The control as a 28VDC power supply for the stepper and a 12VDC power supply to run the control itself. Still need a driver board so I used a Chinese driver board purchased on Ebay
See the control details

See it run

Splash screen:

The indexer I made and the reason I made the control. The indexer has 30:1 gearing and is almost "0" backlash.

The control board and splash screen can be purchased from steve@worldofward.com. The 4 x 4 keypad I used was purchased from Ebay.
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

jim, nice project using i think a ardueno :?:

it has been interesting watching this processers/computers evolve in to many aplications

back to the original question boards exist the contain complete pc,s inbeded in idustrial equipment you just may not be seeing them as such. often times they are running on eprom or solid state memory (think memory stick)

given the cost and simple interface many tablets on the market may fill the bill.

take a look at the makezine sitefor ardueno books and instructions, i am sure a learning curve will always be involved as you work your way thru the many options.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I don't think this uses an Ardueno. Arduenos still need to be programmed from a computer. After they are programmed they work as a stand alone until the program needs to be changed. I suppose there could be some
exceptions but this is my understanding.

I purchased an Ardueno on Ebay but have yet to tinker with it yet.

Steve Ward makes the circuit board for the indexer control and includes the splash screen as an assembly. The buyer needs a 4 x 4 keypad, power supply and driver board.
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

http://dynomotion.com/KFLOP.html

nut and volts october 2013 had a article discussing this controller processor

http://nutsvolts.texterity.com/nutsvolt ... io=53#pg55

i have several arduenos setting around, they are a favorite with the robitics kids that invade my space from time to time.i need to get my brain around them :!: hard to teach a old cat how to use a new toy.