Need Help with a Hurco

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

johnpenn74

Need Help with a Hurco

Post by johnpenn74 »

Fellow metal workers,

I need some help with a Hurco KM-3P with dual-screen Ultimax controller. I’ve never figured out for sure if it is an “Ultimax” or “Ultimax II”. The splash screen during power up only says “Ultimax”. I kind of assumed that it would say “Ultimax II” if that is what it really is.

Problem 1) Where is the NC direct input screen. We have pressed evey button but can't seem to navigate to either a Gcode direct input screen or program screen.

Problem 2) Can get this ting to run at RPM less than 1000. The mill has a mechanical hi/lo. Everytime we put it in low, we get the lower rpm based on 1000 in high gear, and it runs reverse. Surely there is a way to call s300 or something similar.

Any help would be appreciated.

JP
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
dly31

Re: Need Help with a Hurco

Post by dly31 »

This may be totally irrelevant but some Bridgeports have a Hi-Low Speed switch for the motor which only reverses the direction of the motor. This is because the speed change in the mill reverses the spindle direction and the motor therefore needs to be reversed to keep the mill running in the same direction.
Don Young
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hey John

You messing with Dave's Hurco or did you get one? I will try to get down to the basement and power mine up and see what I can figure out for you. I don't use the G code except when I drip feed a program from the cam system so not real famillier with manual entry. As far as getting it to run at a backgear speed in manual I will have to try a couple of things as I have never needed to do that before.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
Rick

Post by Rick »

Just an update for whom ever is interested.

I talked to Buddy at www.amtsinc.com and there is no way to run the spindle in reverse direction in manual on KM3P.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Resurrected this thread.

I changed my Hurco so I can control the spindle separately from the program.
I did it by using the forward /reverse relays , which normally power the spindle motor, to control the VFD instead.
Then I added a separate switch (S) to give For/Rev and Manual/Off/Auto modes, along with the speed pot.

I can send the schematic, or try to post it here if any interest shown

Rich

PS
Its a KM3 with Ultimax II