trim part

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Rick

trim part

Post by Rick »

Just finished a pair (Rh and LH) trim pieces for a buddy of mine that runs a Hot Rod Shop. The originals were pitted to the point they weren't repairable and replacements can't be found. Machined out of alum, 3D profile was machined with a 1/8 ball endmill with a .005 step over.
Post on the back will be threaded 10-32. Lots of fun and i even get paid for them :D
Attachments
DSCN3022.JPG
DSCN3023.JPG
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: trim part

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Nice work Rick. Are the posts integral to the part? If so, that looks like a lot of chips came off of it!
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Jeremy Sawatzky

Post by Jeremy Sawatzky »

Those look great I sure hope those posts are threaded in...
Rick

Post by Rick »

Thanks guys

The post are integral to the part, the main body is only .200 thick and the grooves are .075 deep so there wasn't anything left to be able to drill and tap a hole. The original part was die cast, and I needed to try to stay as close to it as possibe. I think it goes on a 60's Mercury Comet. I used the cnc to orbit the post then used the saw and manual mill to remove the rest of the material. I had to do it in three steps due to having to toe clamp the part to the table since it couldnt be held in a vice as the outer walls are tapered and have a large radius. Thought about doing the post first but then the post would be the only thing I could use to hold the part for the 3D machining and that scared me even more. Fun stuff. Had to say my main concern was a having lapse of concentration and accdently wacking off one of the post :D
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Nice looking parts and good outcome of a challenging job.
Don Young