4th Axis First?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

ctwo

4th Axis First?

Post by ctwo »

Not really, but just wanted a micro-controlled indexing table. This is what a few hours in the shop and some programming produced the past couple weeks.

It seems to work well, but could use quite a bit of refinement in the code, particularly the motor control. The sound picks up a lot in the video, but I have also not clamped the motor tight to allow for some give as I figure out a better motor coupling (thinking of Bellows or Oldham type).

Things that need to be developed are backlash compensation, emergency stop, and logical accounting of switching between divisions, step angle, and manual control (i.e., what to do when manual interrupts a division routine - and that IS a question???). I would also like to add an acceleration routine to help the motor out.

I also tested the load capabilities - I was able to load over 20 lb-ft before motor stalled. Is that a reasonable amount? It is much less than I had anticipated...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl89OSeYz7s
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...