Getting Mach3 off the ground

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Dave_C

Re: Getting Mach3 off the ground

Post by Dave_C »

Nick,

Good catch on the laptop. I missed that and you are correct. It is not recommended to run Mach 3 on any laptop. Some say they have done it but who know how they did it.

Another thing some might find helpful: I took all unnecessary software off of my PC that runs Mach 3. For example, all antivirus software! That stuff sucks the life out of any computer and since this PC for Mach 3 will not be out on the net I have no need to bog it down with un-needed software.

I kept Excel, Word, Visio and my threading software as they don't interfere but I also do not try to run them while Mach 3 is doing a job. Yes, you can leave Mach 3 open and go to your shop software if you need something or run Excel if you want. Just not while you are in the middle of a job.

Mach 3 pretty much wants the PC's whole attention!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Which way should a knee mill table move when you press the left arrow key, and up arrow key? I.e., which is the frame of reference, the tool or the table?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
magic9r

Post by magic9r »

Convention is to have the jog keys indicating direction of tool movement relative to the part.

- Nick
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Thanks! I could not find an easy answer searching, probably because I'm not using the right terminology.

I've gotten so used to focusing on the table moving when twisting the dials on the manual machine, it's going to be a new mindset.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

Once you get the Mach3 up and running properly, there is a free program called "G-simple" that you can load that will generate the G-code for you to do most types of simple operations for mills and lathes running Mach3. These can then be combined.

It takes some head scratching to get it to work, but once you get your tools set up, its fairly simple.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

When you say "head scratchin'.." This is where I seem to go astray. I have not tried G-Simple yet but would like to.

What seems to be the part that causes the head scratchin"?

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

DrDavo wrote:When you say "head scratchin'.." This is where I seem to go astray. I have not tried G-Simple yet but would like to.

What seems to be the part that causes the head scratchin"?

Dave C.

Assigning the tools into the tool posts is the biggest bug-a-boo to getting started. Also, trying to work with the various layers can be a bear when you try to select one, but it grabs another, or won't grab it at all.