g-code types

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

hwboivin3

Re: g-code types

Post by hwboivin3 »

You want my Mach3 post?
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Bill,

There's quite a bit more in common then 4 commands. Aside from the far out whacky and or out dated controls..... most are based on fanuc. The drill cycles are the same, the milling cycles are the same.

Who uses a mirror code anymore? Cam software eliminates a ton of codes.

If you are using cam software, what codes would you need beyond let's say..

G0, 1, 2, 3, 81, 83, ..... and perhaps a couple more ?

G92? Haven't typed that on in since the mid 90s.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

G92 can be a threading cycle or it can be a max turning spindle speed clamp., depending on the FANUC code setting....or if you are running a MITS WIRE EDM, G92 is used every time you thread / start a new burn contour -> so it is used a LOT with modern machines.

We also still use mirror codes all the time, even with CAM systems. With many machines it allows us to write IDENTICAL CODE for Main or Sub spindle with only the change of a single line in the channel. Or, if you are pinch turning where you have identical paths / tools in opposite sides of a turning part, the MIRROR command makes it easy to slave two turrets together and ensure that they both do exactly what you want at the same time.

No, I don't do work for hobby machines, since their users typically cannot afford the software we sell

I write for the major machine manufacturers: Star, Citizen, Mori-Seiki, DMG, Mazak, Tsugami, Matsuura, Haas, Fidia, Tornos, Willemin-Macodel, Index, Traub, Hardinge, Nakamura-Tome, Hermele and about 100 others..

keeps me busy....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Bill Shields wrote:G92 can be a threading cycle or it can be a max turning spindle speed clamp., depending on the FANUC code setting....or if you are running a MITS WIRE EDM, G92 is used every time you thread / start a new burn contour -> so it is used a LOT with modern machines.

We also still use mirror codes all the time, even with CAM systems. With many machines it allows us to write IDENTICAL CODE for Main or Sub spindle with only the change of a single line in the channel. Or, if you are pinch turning where you have identical paths / tools in opposite sides of a turning part, the MIRROR command makes it easy to slave two turrets together and ensure that they both do exactly what you want at the same time.

No, I don't do work for hobby machines, since their users typically cannot afford the software we sell

I write for the major machine manufacturers: Star, Citizen, Mori-Seiki, DMG, Mazak, Tsugami, Matsuura, Haas, Fidia, Tornos, Willemin-Macodel, Index, Traub, Hardinge, Nakamura-Tome, Hermele and about 100 others..

keeps me busy....
Good Morning :!: Bill, :D
Well if you ever decide to write a Programmers Hand
Book
8) you will have alot of buyer's :D

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have all the buyers I can handle right now, thanks.. :lol:

www.partmaker.com

I am one of the guys that writes the post processors for all these crazy machines.

http://www.partmaker.com/postprocessing/index.asp

Handbooks really aren't the way to go - you need manuals for each machine / controller combination...and the time to read / translate / understand them...then figure out why two seemingly identical machines need different code (100's of different parameter settings makes our life interesting).

never a dull minute..
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

I used to use the G92 when working with castings that had references to multiple cast surfaces. I would program a probe to come up and touch off of the referenced cast surface, enter the G92, have that portion of the program use the probed reference as the current offset, do the machining, then go back to g90 or g91 to continue on with the regular machining based on the original work piece zero point.
Just another tool in the CNC toolbox.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
ken572

Post by ken572 »

ctwo, :D

I stumbled on this and thought I would

throw it your way for your perusal. :idea:

CNC Code SHOOTER HELP
http://www.cnccodeshooter.com/CodeShooterHelp.pdf

CNC Code SHOOTER FREE TRIAL
http://cnccodeshooter.com/

Ken. :)
One must remember.
Ken.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

there is a lot there for $20.00

for someone just getting started in programming, it is hard to find major fault with the offering....and $19.95 is only a couple of gallons of gas or a trip to McD's for dinner :twisted:

get some inexpensive software that will output basic DXF files and you can have a lot of fun.

The only item that I would point out is that not all machines program IJK for arc center definition exclusively in INCREMENTAL from the arc start point.

Yes, that is the FANUC way of doing things, but there are many controls out there that program arc center IJK in ABSOLUTE if you are programming XYZ in ABSOLUTE and INCREMENTAL if you are programming XYZ in INCREMENTAL. I personally own one (giggle)...

Maybe his software has a SWITCH to allow you to set this, but the help file does not specifically say one way or another.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

ctwo :D

This site is very interesting and informative. :wink:

Check out there G-Code Chart

http://www.cnc-joe.com/index.html

ken. :)
One must remember.
Ken.