D & M cnc lathe???

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Rex

Re: D & M cnc lathe???

Post by Rex »

I am in about the same shape with a Denford mill, also Sherline based.
My research indicates I will need Mach3, a breakout board, and 3 stepper driver boards. Or, Bob Campbell makes a combo board that covers everything. you may also need a power supply if the stock ps does not output the correct voltages.

If your D&M is one of the later models, the stepper driver boards may be usable. You should see 2 of them.

You can download and run Mach3 in demo mode to test your machine, then buy a license once you are satisfied it will run.
systemslave

Post by systemslave »

I just joined this site. I don't know if this thread is dead, but I rebuilt a D&M lathe identical to this one. I even built a shaft encoder for it out of spare parts. Let me know if you still need info to rebuild it.
Rex

Post by Rex »

This topic comes up regularly. A number of other Sherline-based training CNCs use D&M components.
So sure, if you have knowledge, please do start a thread and share your experience. I'll sure read it!
systemslave

Post by systemslave »

That sounds more like a book than a thread! My Sherline based mill is retrofitted with the MX3660. This unit takes the place of the break out board and three stepper controllers/drivers, plus VFD control, smoothing, and charge pump. This is a great unit for doing a full conversion or retrofit. I also hooked up a positioning pendant and touchoff sensor circuit. I use autoleveller with the touchoff to account for variability in surfaces (mainly PC boards). My Sherline based lathe is a work in progress. I just built and installed a shaft encoder and I am in the process of verifying that it threads properly. For better or worse, these are hobbies and I spend much more time modifying them than actually using them.

If you want to add a pendant or touchoff circuit to your mill I would love to talk with you about it. If you want to add a shaft encoder to your mini-lathe or better yet if you can coach me on threading, I would love to talk to you about that. If you want to know exactly what those boards on your D&M mill are doing, I could explain. I'm old enough to recognize the chips. I doubt, however, that very many people would be interested in all of the esoteric drivel I could produce about my hobbies. Besides, I would rather chat than write.
systemslave

Post by systemslave »

BTW Rex, did you rebuild that Denford mill yet?
Rex

Post by Rex »

I actually sold that Denford as I cad acquired a Lab-Volt shortly after. The Lab-Volt had the milling head, whereas the Denford had the high-speed air spindle. I have been converting the Lab-Volt, but I have not quite got it working yet. Other projects have kept me from getting back to it, but I'll be on it again soon.
MariaPinto

Post by MariaPinto »

The D&M CNC lathe use a parallel I/O card in the computer you need an older isa slot and you will need software to drive the card also the newer computer will be to fast for the card you need about 25mhz older 286 cpu.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Looks like the OP bailed long ago.
But there are a lot of these old Sherline-based teaching machines out there, both mills and lathes.
I have yet to get my Lab-Volt mill running, but I'm getting smarter!

I think were I to start from scratch right now, I would buy a Gecko G540 for $275 and call it done. Everything else I have tried involves mediocre support from a variety of companies. At least with the G540 you get one box that covers all of the electronics. It also has a very good manual and excellent support.