Synchronous driver & ????

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

wsippola

Synchronous driver & ????

Post by wsippola »

I got these from a small plant closure that did some kind of automation work. I've found some info on the Superior Electric driver and programmer - but not sure what the other two superior electric boxes are. I would guess they are also drivers of some sort. I also got two stepper motor driven devices - a dividing head and a work head for a cylindrical grinder. I'm hoping the components can be cobbled together but I need to learn a lot more about this stuff first.
superior electric 001.JPG
The other two boards were packed together with a 9v wall wart in boxes - I realize it's a long shot, but any ideas??
Driver 002.JPG
ken572

Re: Synchronous driver & ????

Post by ken572 »

:D wsippola,

WOW :!:

Thanks for Flashing my brain back to 1988 8) :lol:

We built a Heated Etch / Rinse Programmable
Process Machine for 6” wafers for a Motorola Fab.
with Slo-Syn (3amp) Micro Steppers with in-
line speed reduction (12 steps per degree)
which was a big deal back then. :lol:

For Programming we used Slo-Syn computer
software, as well as the SSP-500 Hand Held
Programmer that you show in the pictures.

We used the Slo-Syn factory made Power Supply
and I/O indexers which were much larger then you
have in your pictures. The software was very
user friendly and the documentation was very
easy to understand. These little motors had
unbelievable power for there size. They run hot
and run forever. They are GREAT.

I.M.H.O. :lol:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

One must remember.
Ken.
wsippola

Post by wsippola »

Ken - 1988 sounds right on the money - two of the superior electric boxes have labels on the IC chips of '86 and '87.

Thanks for the links. Looks like there's enough info amongst them to sort something out with these drives. I won't be getting into it for a couple months minimum, as I want to get the cylindrical grinder up and running. But it is something I'm interested in and now have some motivation to go forward to get that dividing head and cylindrical grinder work head with the steppers set up and running.

I found some info on the automation company that was being cleared out. It was called Automation Systems Corp and made a little table top CNC "mill" called an accuMILL, complete with a tool changer. Link to a short video of it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWTIJNJrp3I

Don't know what actually happened to the company, but considering the way it was being cleaned up, it appears to have closed down.

Here's a photo of a couple old VFDs - 1 hp each, plus the stepper motor driven dividing head. I got two sets of plates with it as well, which fit my other dividing head. There is also some kind of optical device made by Heidenhain (sitting on the dividing plates) - at a guess, it's for viewing a graduated scale or something. Has kind of a greenish tinted screen you can see light through from the lens. Appears to be illuminated as there is one wire coming off it.
Attachments
Drives.JPG
drives2.JPG
ken572

Post by ken572 »

wsippola wrote:Ken - 1988 sounds right on the money - two of the superior electric boxes have labels on the IC chips of '86 and '87.

Thanks for the links. Looks like there's enough info amongst them to sort something out with these drives. I won't be getting into it for a couple months minimum, as I want to get the cylindrical grinder up and running. But it is something I'm interested in and now have some motivation to go forward to get that dividing head and cylindrical grinder work head with the steppers set up and running.

I found some info on the automation company that was being cleared out. It was called Automation Systems Corp and made a little table top CNC "mill" called an accuMILL, complete with a tool changer. Link to a short video of it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWTIJNJrp3I

Don't know what actually happened to the company, but considering the way it was being cleaned up, it appears to have closed down.

Here's a photo of a couple old VFDs - 1 hp each, plus the stepper motor driven dividing head. I got two sets of plates with it as well, which fit my other dividing head. There is also some kind of optical device made by Heidenhain (sitting on the dividing plates) - at a guess, it's for viewing a graduated scale or something. Has kind of a greenish tinted screen you can see light through from the lens. Appears to be illuminated as there is one wire coming off it.
Look's like you were at the right place
at just the right time. :wink: :D

I am cleaning alot of my old and unneeded
stuff out to give me a little more space. If
I find Slo-Syn stuff I will save them for you.

One must remember.
Ken.
wsippola

Post by wsippola »

Thanks Ken. I looked up some of the ICs on the two smaller boards and they are, as I suspected, drivers for steppers. They were packaged together with no paperwork, other than one had handwritten across the package "controller." Both boards have an 8 bit microprocessor, and I believe the controller is programmed with the buttons, and then downloaded to the other board which is the driver. Mostly just speculation and guestimate given the components.

I haven't dealt with IC components since university a quarter century ago, so I don't actually remember a whole lot. Ideally, I'll be able to figure out how to run a stepper motor with these, though I don't think they will be large enough to run the steppers on the dividing head or cylindrical grinder workhead. A couple of the board power components are limited to .5 amps. The dividing head is 3 amps. I'm in no rush to power these items, but I figure I can start learning.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

wsippola :D

This link might be of interest to you.
Many Slo - Syn components as you scroll down.

http://www.motorcontrolpartsforsale.com/slo-syn/

One must remember.
Ken.