Can't Buy Sensor for Stirling-Steel CNC Conversion

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Pennsy fan

Re: Can't Buy Sensor for Stirling-Steel CNC Conversion

Post by Pennsy fan »

I have to agree with Dickybird, a positive marker is needed to set the same place in time no matter what speed your at. An opto is what a lot lathes seem to use. I have a small emco and that's what on the spindle.
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

larry_g wrote:... since this sensor has a 4mm range you need something proud of the spindle by greater than 4mm to allow the flag to trigger the sensor as it passes the sensor.
If one placed the sensor 6mm from the spindle and had a 2mm lump to trigger the sensor...
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

you would be at the outer edge of range better to adj it for 2mm of clearance for reliability
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I guess I'll just do what the plans say. It doesn't really matter.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

SteveHGraham wrote:I guess I'll just do what the plans say. It doesn't really matter.
Good plan. In all the years I worked with these type sensors I just treated them as a non contact switch. Some of the machines I worked with had hundreds of prox sensors on them. There were times that one had to pay attentions to setup and switching times, but most of the time its just a switch.

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
abarski010

Post by abarski010 »

Which sensor do I need for the CNC Conversion kit? The one equipped with PNP, NPN, Both, or do all of them work just have to wire them up correctly?
bekfu01

Post by bekfu01 »

Do most new lathes have a Proximity Sensor - https://www.derf.com/an-overview-on-proximity-sensors/ ?

Now I feel like I should get a new one .. mine is very low tech I guess. How does a proximity sensor even work with the lathe?

Tried looking it up, not a lot of info out there...