Give me Clues on Coolant for CNC Mini-Lathe

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

ctwo

Re: Give me Clues on Coolant for CNC Mini-Lathe

Post by ctwo »

I get it, I can see the tube and how the pump works.

- and that is even home makable...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

in heart they are a simple low volume pump, the real key is getting the proper tubing, in a pinch I have subbed surgical tubing. but some of the synthetics are even better. like I said once you look around they are pretty common anyplace chemicals are being used.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

hammermill wrote:lots s of surplus perstolic pumps with 110 v motors that would do the trick

http://www.grainger.com/category/chemic ... altic+Pump

the new ones are pricey but look at a restaurant supply or soap dealer for kitchens, most dishwashers have 2 or three of them. some machines they are built in
I was hoping for something in the $3-$5 range. The $300+ range seems a bit extravagant.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

doctors call them peristaltic pumps...original came from heart bypass machines (or is the first place I saw them).

tubing tends to squash out and crack on the edges after a while.

not good in the OR, but OK in a shop, unless you are worried about coolant on the floor.

no matter what you do, figure out some way of venting the fumes that will come from any coolant, or you will have it all over everything when it condenses, including the insides of your lungs.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

You might consider a home made MQL (minimum quantity lubrication) system. My buddy built one. It does not put out a fine mist, its more of a spray and you can regulate the coolant. Air clears the chips and carries the lube. Many plans out there for them. I won't do flood because the use is infrequent for me. I actually have a UNIST MQL pump I am playing with. But their coolant is pricey but lasts a long time. I'll build a couple of my buddies spray mist units when time permits. If you do a search on YouTube for Homemade MQL you will see his cnc mill running with it.
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"