Centroid lathe conversion

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Richard_W

Centroid lathe conversion

Post by Richard_W »

At work we have an old HES tape lathe. When it stopped reading the tapes we switched to a centroid conversion with new DC servo motors. So we removed the Fanuc servos and installed the kit. Then found out the website has no real support for the lathe and the G72 is backwards from normal. It wants to start from center and feed out instead of feeding in from the O.D. Blows fuses daily and now the X servo burnt out. Then they tell us the servo is not coolant proof, but coolant resistant. $1200.00 and waiting for a new servo to arrive.

Needless to say we are really sorry we bought the Centroid lathe conversion. Has that been a common problem with the Centroid lathe conversion? We could have bought a working CNC lathe for less money.

Richard W. (edit spelling)
Last edited by Richard_W on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Centroid lathe conversion

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Little more info. Did you buy the kit new or used? Is it genuine Centroid or AJAX. Did you install it or did a competent Centroid dealer install it?
I have a friend who had their EZ Pathe lathe converted and it runs fine. Issue is, the operators would rather run a HAAS.
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Marty_Escarcega wrote:Little more info. Did you buy the kit new or used? Is it genuine Centroid or AJAX. Did you install it or did a competent Centroid dealer install it?
I have a friend who had their EZ Pathe lathe converted and it runs fine. Issue is, the operators would rather run a HAAS.
We ordered a kit new right from Centroid. We had our maintenance guy install it and we made adapters to fit the existing ball screws. No one there except me has ever used a HAAS. Everything else is Fanuc in the shop.

What I find really odd is that I used a Centroid on a Trump bed mill and it worked just fine. So did the 2 axis on a Sharp Bridgeport type mill.

Richard W.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the Centroid Control was not configured/installed properly. You have quite an investment now in the control. Might be best to call out a local Centroid tech to look it over.
I take it you've not had much much with Centroid support?
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Marty_Escarcega wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the Centroid Control was not configured/installed properly. You have quite an investment now in the control. Might be best to call out a local Centroid tech to look it over.
I take it you've not had much much with Centroid support?
No we haven't, centroid has not been much help and the online lathe training we were promised hasn't happened. We also found out after the fact that the lathe control is really a mill control. That is why the G72 is backwards. We were told that is the way centroid does it.

Richard W.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Centroid's website shows specific controls for the lathe (T-400 & T-39):
http://www.centroidcnc.com/cnccontrols.htm

Which model control did you get?
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Marty_Escarcega wrote:Centroid's website shows specific controls for the lathe (T-400 & T-39):

I have to go and look since I don't run that machine. I usually run the Takisawa TC4 with the Fanuc control.

Richard W.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Marty_Escarcega wrote:Centroid's website shows specific controls for the lathe (T-400 & T-39):

We got the "T400S", at least that is on the tag on the back.

Richard W.
Attachments
image (2).jpeg
image (3).jpeg
image (1).jpeg
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Well,
You got a lathe control. If it were me, I would be on the phone to Centroid tech support until someone could give you some advice. That was a sizeable investment to purchase. Shame to cast it aside and not pursue.
I'd like to know what they have to say about it and how this ends up.
Marty
backyard_cnc

Post by backyard_cnc »

contact this guy: he should have straight answers for you:

http://cncservicesnorthwest.com/

Gerald

(I have a mostly completed Ajax/Centroid install done on a knee mill)
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

I would also like to hear how well centroid resolves this.

loco112