Light Weight oil for Coolant

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Richard_W

Re: Light Weight oil for Coolant

Post by Richard_W »

I have used machines that ran straight cutting oil in the coolant tank.

Richard W.
Big Rack

Post by Big Rack »

I used to run a Swiss style lathe with oil, it smokes when making heavy cuts and with 2 machines connected to a Smog Hog would still smoke up the shop, additionally the fines would drop out and fill chip conveyors not to mention you can't get the smell off. We went to Blaser coolant and at about 10% (or till it felt slick between fingers) worked as well or better (due to higher flow) zero rust and the fines did not clog up the conveyor, never looked back at oil. Also checked with machine builder, Hardinge (ST-225) and warranty was maintained.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Good to know. I looked up there web site. Lots of products to choose from!

Thanks,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Canola is edible. Rapeseed is not great effort goes in to keeping them separated on the farm.
Last edited by hammermill on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You ran an ST225?

Wow...not too many of you out there....

Yes, Blaser Lube is a very good water soluble product and used world-wide in production environments.

Despite that, if you are concerned about machine warranty, there are some manufacturers who will not support the warranty if water-soluble lube is used. Oil based cutting fluids are still very much in use in the production world.

IF you are cutting titanium, there are some additional concerns, but that doesn't appear to be your case,...just be aware.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Big Rack

Post by Big Rack »

Actually used 2 of them up 1 they replaced with a repo second one rebuilt the motor and ballscrews. They had purchased them to make 2 parts as a turnkey project from Hardinge had to go to the factory to train. After our main co. sent the parts overseas didn't get a lot of use till the boss handed me a print and asked if I could make it for 10 years every part off it was my doing from notepad to finished item. A real neat machine if you understnd it.
Our place liked long runs though and wanted others to run it after I set it up and the operators sometimes didn't or couldn't quite get it. One time an off shift guy was supposed to set the parts timer to check every 25 parts he somehow got into the wrong screen and changed a dwell had the factory fighting over machine versus software about when they were ready to come in (about a grand to show up) finally lucked into that screen.
May favorite part to make was a golf tee for open house pretty neat to turn the coolant off so a person could watch then open the door and pop it out of the sub and give it to them.