Vintage Live Steam - Danvers 1938

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

tsph6500

Vintage Live Steam - Danvers 1938

Post by tsph6500 »

Here are some images from A.W. Leggett taken at the 1938 NELS Meet at Danvers, MA

Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

great pic's Jim. thanks.
fred v
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Jim,

Thanks for posting.

The 5th picture from the bottom has 3 boys in the foreground around an engine in the steaming bay. Unless I am mistaken (and the photographer's notes on the back of your photo will correct me if I am), the guy on the right (in the raincoat) is Charlie Purinton, then aged 16. (son of Brotherhood founder Carl Purinton)

Also, the 4th picture from the top, that's Charlie on the left.

-John Kurdzionak
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Jim, Thanks for posting those.... I love looking at pictures of the "beginnings" of our hobby.. any more?
John
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

PS:

These scenes are 15 miles from my home, and most of these scenes are a parking lot today. It took me MONTHS of regular visits, to locate most of what remains of the roadbed, on another part of the property. Very little of the ROW was visible without extensive searching on the property.

It can only be seen in winter/spring, when the weeds, the brush, the swamp grass, etc. is gone. Summertime, forget it. There is no trace of the roadbed. I always had tried in the summer time, until I got smart one late fall and went with a recent snow cover on the ground. Then, it was as plain as day.

If anyone is interested in seeing this stuff, if you're ever going to be in the Boston area, let me know. I'm always up for an archaeological field trip, and am happy to give a tour to other interested people. Maybe parking lots and old roadbeds don't excite you, but if they might, if you want to SEE where all this history took place, I can show you right where it is. I even can show you where the "high trestle" was that you see in the pictures. I know people who rode over that, and they said it was about 10 feet down!

-John
Steve Bratina

Vintage Danvers

Post by Steve Bratina »

Great Picture Jim. Will you be bringing them to the meet so we can look at them during the evening rest periode?
Here is another one of Mr Leggett's Danvers pictures. Your 4th picture is one that I have and on the back was written L to R Charlie Purinton,Stew Evans, Fred Jerome and Mr Langworthy
Attachments
Danvers 1939a.jpg
Danvers 1939b.jpg
Steampipe

Post by Steampipe »

Love seeing these pieces of history. The sights of steam and good fellowship always stands the test of time.
PJM
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Some new photos of NELS (New England Live Steamers) at Danvers MA have just been posted on www.friendsmodels.com under "Our History 1938-1972". Please have a look if interested.

-John K.
alanstepney

Post by alanstepney »

Fascinating pictures and a piece of history.

(As an aside, is there a local historical society that might like copies. Whilst WE find them interesting and can preserve them, it is so easy fro such records to get lost and in time, these may be of historic importance in the community.)

I really wouldnt like to fall off that trestle though.!
http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam and workshop pages.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

neither rain, nor sleet, nor dark of night shall keep these steamers from making their elevated rounds !
Or something like that..
Thank You

Rich