Die holder for lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

pkastagehand

Die holder for lathe

Post by pkastagehand » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:10 pm

Since I sometimes get accused of never contributing I thought I'd send this picture of a recent project. I made my version of a die holder for the lathe. Holds two different round die sizes; 1" and 13/16" round dies.

The morse tapered part will be used with the part for the chuck for holding taps. Haven't finished that yet.

Paul

BadDog

Post by BadDog » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Very niice!

Funny, but I just built one for hex dies last night. Mine uses a 3/4 straight shank for use in the mill collet, lathe collet, drill chuck, or turret. I thought about an MT3 attachment, but I think the MT3 won't hold against the torque of a larger die. and I can always put my 3/4" chuck in the TS (same as drill press too) to hold the 3/4 shank on small dies. But mine's not as sexy as yours. ;)
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper

BadDog

Post by BadDog » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:49 pm

Oh, by the way, I've got one feature left to finish on mine. It's still not done because my holder is fully hardened and I don't have a 1/8" carbide drill.

Basically, my holder uses a cheap HF impact socket as a hex die holder (saw that somewhere). The square drive is bored out to 0.750 using a carbide boring bar. Then the spindle/shaft is fitted with a 1.250"x0.750" shaft inside the socket bore, and a collar of the same OD as the socket providing a thrust surface against the back of the socket. I'm putting a 1/8 pin at the same radius on both sides of that thrust surface. These pins will be ~0.090 proud of the surface, and will fucntion as a sort of dog clutch. The shaft inside the socket will have a groove 0.375 wide with a set screw oriented such that it allows enough axial movement to fully engage or disengage the dog driver pins.

Now, that means I can run it in under power up to a stop, let the die "feed" itself off the dog driver (hard pins), and it stops even if the part (or spindle) are still spinning. Hit the "plug reverse" (I love 3 phase) and re-engage (dealing with "quick" stop of course) dogs to allow it to power feed off.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper

Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:26 pm

Very professional looking!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"