Small lathe grinder

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jose Rivera

Small lathe grinder

Post by Jose Rivera »

I have wanted to make this small grinder holder for a while.

I had two angle plates for at least 30 years and they just came like if I had ordered them for this project.
They were perfect to hold this little Sears grinder for small precise jobs or grinding tool bits.
I still have to paint them of the same color as the machine, olive green.

I wanted to share the pictures plus show the vise that I bought after I returned the Grizzly that broke on me brand new.
Attachments
Model-finished.JPG
Angle plate-1.JPG
Angle plate -2.JPG
Boring.JPG
New mill vise.JPG
Rough mach.JPG
test-3.JPG
Test.JPG
Ken_Shea

Post by Ken_Shea »

Quite nice Jose,
Those angle plates will make for a very solid setup by all appearances.
I just love it when I get to use something I have had for years and never used, as in your case.

I have been cautioned by others to be sure and protect the lathe ways with some sort of apron to collect the dust as this grinding dust is obviously very abrasive and will in time cause damage. Seemed to make sense to me.

Ken
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Very neat little setup. I've considered making such a thing (based on pics I've seen), but other than once mounting a "pencil" grinder in a QC boring bar holder, I've been very reluctant to run a grinder on my lathe. Too many scary stories I guess... :D

Man, I would be all puckered up over that boring setup. Not that it wouldn't hold, limited in rpm sufficiently, but I just hate the thought of that much off-center weight AND a boring bar hanging out that far.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GearGeek

Post by GearGeek »

Very cool setup Jose! Whenever I get my lathe I will have to make something like that sometime. Looks like a fun and useful project. Sooo, what are you going to grind with it? ;)

~GearGeek
Ken_Shea

Post by Ken_Shea »

Jose,
Got a question on Test-3.jpg.

What method did/do you use to insure a parallel fit of something that thin. I usually spend too much time getting similiar rings to run true.

Ken
Jose Rivera

Thank you guys!!!

Post by Jose Rivera »

Ken_Shea:
"I have been cautioned by others to be sure and protect the lathe ways with some sort of apron"

Yes, I've heard that since I can remember.
Never had to run a real tool-post grinder but we had a set-up similar that held an air grinder and into the Aloris holder.
So covering the way and NEVER using the air gun rules.
________
BadDog:
"Man, I would be all puckered up over that boring setup"

I know that it was going to pucker a few!! :-) Main reason why I posted it.
The thin boring bar was used for finishing the hole to .750.
For thinning out the area where the grinder attaches I used a larger diameter bar and it worked fine.
I had to do it that way because of that thin area only.
I could not go beyond 240 RPM otherwise I will get the machine doing the Samba.
This works good with faces and also diameters that overhang the chuck and don’t run true before putting a center drill hole.
Attachments
Forced indicating.JPG
Force Indicator.JPG
Last edited by Jose Rivera on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken_Shea

Post by Ken_Shea »

Jose,
That is a really good example of a simple solution.
I bet I am not the only one going to make one of those.
An added plus is that it satisfies some of that "If it don't fit force it" in most of us. :D

Thanks
Ken
fourjc

Post by fourjc »

Nice job Jose, can you also mount it on the compound slide for grinding internal tapers.. I needed to grind the internal taper on a wheel adaptor for a surface grinder, before I got myself a lathe so, I mounted a full size tool post grinder on the surface grinder to do the job, the setup would have made most machinist cringe. You setup would have been a dream come true.
Dont forget, when you are doing long reach internal grinding, you dress the mounted wheel then you back off (dress smaller) the rear of the wheel and only leave 1/16" to 1/8" of grinding surface, this eliminated much of the possible chatter and give you a nicer cutting action. I also mounted my dressing diamond on a magnetic base, that way I can stick it anywhere to dress the wheel.
Good luck with your grinding projects.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Ken_Shea wrote:Jose,
That is a really good example of a simple solution.
I bet I am not the only one going to make one of those.
An added plus is that it satisfies some of that "If it don't fit force it" in most of us. :D

Thanks
Ken
Ken, basically a wood stick or brass will do the same.
I have also one made out of a 3/8 piece of Teflon rod.

The bearing is there to avoid marking the surface to much when something is more or less delicate in finish.
wannabe

bearing tool

Post by wannabe »

Hi Jose,

I found one of those bars with a bearing at the end like yours in a box of gear I bought at an auction, I thought it was a tool someone had made for spinning metal :oops: however it is quite large 3/4"dia X 10" so maybe?
Jose Rivera

Re: bearing tool

Post by Jose Rivera »

wannabe wrote:Hi Jose,

I found one of those bars with a bearing at the end like yours in a box of gear I bought at an auction, I thought it was a tool someone had made for spinning metal :oops: however it is quite large 3/4"dia X 10" so maybe?
It must have been built for a larger lathe.

The one I made was made to be used in Monarch 10EE I used to run at U.C.B.
It just happen to work perfect for my Maximat V10 (same capacity)

As you comment on spinning metal, I guess it would work for that too.
Jose Rivera

Tool post

Post by Jose Rivera »

fourjc wrote:Nice job Jose, can you also mount it on the compound slide for grinding internal tapers.. I needed to grind the internal taper on a wheel adaptor for a surface grinder, before I got myself a lathe so, I mounted a full size tool post grinder on the surface grinder to do the job, the setup would have made most machinist cringe. You setup would have been a dream come true.
Dont forget, when you are doing long reach internal grinding, you dress the mounted wheel then you back off (dress smaller) the rear of the wheel and only leave 1/16" to 1/8" of grinding surface, this eliminated much of the possible chatter and give you a nicer cutting action. I also mounted my dressing diamond on a magnetic base, that way I can stick it anywhere to dress the wheel.
Good luck with your grinding projects.
It was ment to be mounted on the tool post but I messed up while laying out the loctaion of the hole and tapped the hole that holds to the vertical surface off-set to the opposite direction.

Have problems with dyslexia all of my life :-)

So now I ended up way above center. This will be corrected by tapping a second hole in the right location.