Locomotive Stands

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

clinch670

Locomotive Stands

Post by clinch670 »

I am currently designing some locomotive stands for a few diffrent types of locomotives. I would like to see some that you guys have to give me a broad range of ideas.

Thanks
clinch670
Bill Shields

stands

Post by Bill Shields »

fixed height or variable?

what size locos?
clinch670

Post by clinch670 »

The stands will be fixed height. I am building 3 stands (loco and tender) for a challenger. I am building them so that the can connect together or be seperate. Also building a stand for my 1.6 scale E8. Would like to incorporate rollers in the challenger stand so it can run on air in the rack.

-clinch670
Bill Shields

stand

Post by Bill Shields »

I built mine out of 3" channel, using casters good for way more than the loco / stand weigh.

I also put in a section of drop out so that I can pull a wheel set.

I don't specifically have any pics of the stand...but

the most expensive part of the stand was the wheels. DON'T make the mistake of getting only steerable wheels for one end....unless you are very good at driving a fork-truck...
Dan Willey

Post by Dan Willey »

This is my 7.5 " gauge engine stand made from 2" square tubing. The rails are made from 1" angle. The stand is made such that the engine hoist legs will just fit under the bottom rails of the stand so the hoist can be manipulated all around the stand. I made two stands.. one for the engine and a shorter one for the tender. Both stand can be bolted together to make one long stand if necessary.
Attachments
IMG_1907s.jpg
DCP_2216ss.jpg
Bill Shields

Stand height

Post by Bill Shields »

FWIW:

My stand is a good work height without bending over...about 48" to the rails.

There are a few time when I find it a bit high, but 99% of the time I am VERY HAPPY that it is high enough that I can work on the guts of the loco without bending over...

You'll understand as you get older.... :oops:
Rockhouse

Post by Rockhouse »

My stand is 32 inches high and eight feet long. It is built entirely of wood 2x4's with 1 inch angle iron for the rail thanks to the help from some fiine folks on this and another forum
Attachments
stand16b.jpg
bcody

ENGINE STAND HEIGHT

Post by bcody »

Another factor to consider is will your stand height match your transport vehicle bed height? I made my stands lower (33") so I can go directly from my stands to the bed of my 3/4 ton Dodge HD PU. I also have a hoist (Jan/Feb 2004) because I transport and store my train equipment in a two axle covered trailer and the floor is only about 8" above the floor of my shop. Bill
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

here is one built from 3" channel.
fred v
Attachments
engine stand.jpg
willy

Post by willy »

Careful Fred, having your wheels so close to the width of the track will make the cart feel "tippy".

Just a observation.

Now that I am building a steamer again, I will have to build one once again. The style that Dan Wiley built looks interesting as the cross beam is high enough for the floor crane to roll under. Just something I will keep in mind.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Chuck Hackett built a nice one.

It even collapses flat for storage and transportation.

He talks about design and construction here:
http://whitetrout.net/Chuck/EngineStand/Index.htm

John Yells also made one based on Chuck's design. His discussion is here:
http://www.comnett.net/~jryells/extra/engstd.html

Steve
Berne Ketchum

Stand and locomotive lift

Post by Berne Ketchum »

Here's my stand, adjustable in height from about 14" to just over 5'. I can use it to put my locomotive at a convenient height for work, or raise and lower rolling stock for storage in stacked racks, or load the pickup. The track is suspended on four 1/4" cables attached via pulleys to a T holding a bronze nut driven by a single Acme-threaded rod centered under the track. The rod is turned by a 1/2 hp motor. It's not particularly sophisticated, but it works and I've been using it for about 10 years with no problem. Obviously, I don't roll it around the shop with the locomotive elevated. The design resulted from trying use what I had lying around to minimize cost and the number of parts. I think I have about $250 in it.
Attachments
This mechanism will lift about 700 lbs. with no problem.
This mechanism will lift about 700 lbs. with no problem.