A Friend Found He Had No Locking Wheelnut Key for his Porsch

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

magic9r

A Friend Found He Had No Locking Wheelnut Key for his Porsch

Post by magic9r » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:11 pm

At the same time as he discovered a puncture :D
So he took it to a few wheel & tire companies to be told, "nothing we can do".

The rear nuts are in a deep recess with no clearance for special tools or even hammering on a larger socket, so he gave me a ring & I said "Come up & I'll see what I can do".

Nick (another one, there's lots of us) had a new set of Porsche locking nuts for his Boxster so I had a pattern for the key, I made a blank to match the new socket, cut a strip of lead to fit round the edge where the key pins needed to be & hammered this onto the wheelnut on the car, you can see the required pin positions on the lead ring;

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q158 ... ession.jpg

Mounted the blank in an indexing head in the Rong Fu 400 DVM Mill-Drill (150 to 2700rpm) with the lead impression in position, noted the degree positions for each pin required and milled 3mm at 2700rpmto the point where drilling was possible.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q158 ... tHoles.jpg

Finished in pillar drill, 3mm stainless pins driven in, trimmed off, Dremmel to finish pins and voila! -

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q158 ... nished.jpg

Even milled on the correct size 19mm hex for the wheelbrace and later, after the photo, cut a slot for a socket retaining O - ring.
The surprise was that it fitted first time and was robust enough to swap all 4 wheelnuts :D
The other Nick was pleased too,
Nick

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:27 pm

Nick--

That is the coolest thing! I bet the other Nick was way-relieved when it began taking shape and totally relaxed when it worked!

What did you make it out of?

--Bill
You are what you write.

magic9r

Post by magic9r » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks Bill,
it's all 316 stainless, that's all I'd got in stock big enough & small enough and it was the weekend so my suppliers are shut.
I figured that there were 6 of the 3mm pins and if the design were right they'd be loaded mainly in shear so it should have a chance, I was really relieved when the nut came out with the breaker bar, I'd have been looking for another solution (???) if it hadn't gone smoothly.
Funny how the tooling you accumulate comes together to solve seemingly insurmountable problems :D
Regards,
Nick

Jose Rivera

Key

Post by Jose Rivera » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:16 pm

nicely done!! :D