My new HF X2 mill -"cnc"version

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

nc cooter

My new HF X2 mill -"cnc"version

Post by nc cooter » Sun May 04, 2008 6:42 am

I received my new mill about 5wks ago and have been building a stand and adding some upgrades. (BTW, in my case, cnc means "crank n cuss") :D

The stand is an old Kennedy tool box. It was the right price, free. It needed a good cleaning, new paint, one replacement handle and new drawer liners. Made a top from scrap 2x4's and 3/4" plywood to give more height. Don't laugh too much at the color, it was what I had on hand.

The mill is mounted to a 1/2" scrap steel plate and a 9x7x6 angle plate was added to stiffen the Z axis. An air spring kit and a belt drive kit were added to improve performance.(LMS)

Spent most of yesterday tramming and mounting a 3"heavy Kurt clone vise.(LMS) Being a total newbie probably tripled the time involved, but I am very satisfied with the results.

Late last night I finally tried my hand at milling. Took a small piece of 3/8" scrap mild steel and took it down to 1/4" and milled a 1/8" through slot about 1" long. It only took about 20min to make the slot. Most amazing was the fact I didn't break anything with all those RPM's, chiploads, feed speeds, etc running around in my old brain!

Here are some pics.

Thanks for all the input and help.

Mike

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Sun May 04, 2008 4:54 pm

Mike--

Welcome to the forum!

It looks neat. I bet you were on pins and needles as those very first chips were created!

--Bill
You are what you write.

Jose Rivera

Re: My new HF X2 mill -"cnc"version

Post by Jose Rivera » Sun May 04, 2008 6:29 pm

nc cooter wrote:I received my new mill about 5wks ago and have been building a stand and adding some upgrades. (BTW, in my case, cnc means "crank n cuss")
Mike
Sorry, if it wasn't for Seal Killer mentioning that you're a new member I would have not welcome you.

Mainly new users introduce themselves as "new here", but you did not and I got confused with a member that was converting one of those mills to CNC.

Your member name misguided me assuming that this was a CNC mill and I could not see anything resembling a CNC.

Welcome to the forum!
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa

nc cooter

Post by nc cooter » Sun May 04, 2008 7:15 pm

I am so sorry. I thought I introduced my self when I joined the forum.
I am a hobbiest knife maker/blacksmith and this is my first venture in machining. I wanted a mill/drill to make slots in knife guards and drill more accurite holes for handle pins. This X2 was all I could afford, because money and space is at a premium. I have been gleaning all the info I can find in a number of forums.
Again, my apology for lack of introduction and the lame "cnc joke"

Mike

steamin10

mill joke

Post by steamin10 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:00 pm

NOT really so lame. I gottsa Enco 1978 mill, that has metric screws and inch dials. Generates a huge error over a few inches. THAT my friend is Crank And Cuss...
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.