This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

wayneheggan

Post by wayneheggan »

I am currently building an Allen Mogul. Rolling chassis ,siderods, and cylinders completed. Now working on brake rigging, and soon to start the valve gear. I am trying to stay as prototypical as possible, so I have made many changes in the Harper draawings. For instance the flame cut frame has a slope for the forward sloping firebox. Have just completed a fabricated brake bracket consisting of 8 silver soldered parts each.

I have been unable to find a bilders plate on either the prototype erection drawings, or original photographs. Does anyone have a photo or diagram which details a Rhode Island Locomotive builders plate or even its location?

Wayne
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Hi Wayne, and Welcome! Sorry we didn't get more time to talk at PLS.
SZuiderveen

Re: New member

Post by SZuiderveen »

wayneheggan wrote: Does anyone have a photo or diagram which details a Rhode Island Locomotive builders plate or even its location?

Wayne

Steve
Last edited by SZuiderveen on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loco112

service

Post by Loco112 »

How's that for service!
10 Wheeler Rob

hi: building the 10 Wheeler here.

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Hi,

I'm in the process of building the Allen 10 Wheeler up here in CT. The 10 Wheeler and Mogul share a lot of common parts.

Rob
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Wayne,

Since you are in the brake rigging department on you locomotive, you might want to consider a minor change. The Allen brakes and many other model locomotive brake systems were designed without equalization in the linkage for years. Many of the Little Engines and Railroad Supply designs seemed to just use the same basic style of brake systems all without equalization in the linkage.

It is a simple task to do the math to change the locations of a few holes and a slightly longer piece of material in a few places to achieve prototypical equalization and more even braking in your model.

The first brake beam needs a 2:1 lever and the second brake beam needs a 1:1 lever if things are to be correct.

Hope you are not too far along to make this minor change. I had my RRSC mogul brake system all completed before I realized how poor the engineering was. I went back and changed the entire system saving only what I could and making quite a few new parts. In the end, I had fewer parts and a much smoother operating brake linkage system.

Robert
wayneheggan

brake rigging

Post by wayneheggan »

could you send me a simple diagram of the modified brake rigging? I dont know where you place these "levers"
Wayne
Bill Shields

drawings of riggin'

Post by Bill Shields »

I will post / send you a drawing if you like.

personal e-mail will make it possible
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Me too, Bill!

Thanks,
Brian
schwinncoll

Post by schwinncoll »

We own Warren's Mogul. The brake rigging is slightly off. When you apply the brakes one brake sets while the other releases. Then when you release the brakes they switch and one is set and other is released. Could you please email brake rigging photos to mike@livesteamers.org Any help would be great. We hope to have her up and running by January.

Mike
NP317

Re: New member - Equalized brake rigging

Post by NP317 »

Here (hopefully) are the drawings I used to change my Allen Ten Wheeler brake rigging to fully equalized. They work much better now.
The last drawing shows the general arrangement for 4 axles. Still a good illustration for equalizing.
~RN
brakes - front 2 axles.pdf
(18.36 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
brakes - hangers - equalizers.pdf
(122.14 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
brakes - rear axles.pdf
(25.66 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
brake - general assy.pdf
(23.41 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »