Dual Dial Indicator for Mill Head Tramming

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

C_Wilkes

Dual Dial Indicator for Mill Head Tramming

Post by C_Wilkes »

List

Some time ago I saw, I believe in an MSC flyer, a setup they sold that had two dial indicators 180 degrees apart specifically for tramming a mill head. Has anyone seen these? I cannot seem to find these, even with the help of Google. I'm sure it is a lack of my knowledge of the correct terminology.

Thanks for any leads
Cam
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

I saw that and proceeded to build one last winter at school . It works pertty
well I just took a bar of Aluminium and pressed a 1/2" shank in it and
mounted two dial indicators on it as far apart as would fit on the table
in the Y direction. I have a picture on Photobuket somewhereif I find it
I'll edit this and post the link.
...lew...edit
Last edited by Lew Hartswick on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

The brand name is "Spindle Square".

They look easy to build.
Some folks think they are an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.
Some think they are great.

Dave
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

mechanicalmagic wrote:Some folks think they are an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.
You can include me in that group. That setup does nothing that can't be accomplished equally as well with a single DTI, properly applied.

Harold
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Give me a single indicator mounted on a "dog leg" and I'm happy.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

Well, color me "cantankerous" but I just got one of those things after reading a long thread on "that other forum" about a "pointless tool."

I'm at that advanced stage of life where $125 is easier to come by than an hour or two of my time, so I just PayPal-ed out some dough and got a Spindle Square.

Now, I do have a special advantage here, because if I don't like it much, I know I can donate it to a student shop where it will get some use.

It arrived on my doorstep yesterday afternoon and just for laffs, I adjusted it as the directions indicated, which took all of about 15 seconds. Then I stuck it in a collet on my little Rusnok mill. No time to try tramming, but I did rotate it to see that when it went 180 degrees around the indicators were dead on the same (as well as I could see, they split the division lines on the dial), so I figure it's pretty accurate.

That's it for a while. My next move was to get a few hours of sleep and jam off to Tacoma, where I am now for the rest of the week, attending the Guild of American Losers (luthiers) teaching guitar repair, networking and learning a few new tricks.
Cheers,

Frank Ford
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

I bet someone could make a four jaw chuck alignment tool like that
and make some bucks too?

How about one for steady rests?

Heck, Here I am joking, and that's a really good idea!!!

Just make it a purdy extruded aluminum thing, and anodize it pretty colors, like Green.

Harold, Mechanicalmajic, get your money ready for a sure thing?

Kap
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.
C_Wilkes

Post by C_Wilkes »

Lew, Dave, Frank

Thank you for the useful replies. I appreciate your information.

Frank,

Could you direct me to this "other" forum? I would like to read the posts concerning the spindle square to gain more information.

Always looking for information and grateful for those that acquiesce the request with information,
Cam
Victor_R

Post by Victor_R »

I believe the other forum is: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/index.php (probably general)
"The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them" ~ Samuel Butler (1863)
Mcgyver

Post by Mcgyver »

the pita in tramming the mill is making the adjustments and tightening things back carefully enough that nothing moves.....the indicator part isn't the problem. solution in search of a problem imo and potentially a source of error.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mcgyver wrote:the pita in tramming the mill is making the adjustments and tightening things back carefully enough that nothing moves.....the indicator part isn't the problem.
That's absolutely correct, and becomes quite evident if you dial in the head on any kind of regularity. It's quite easy when you do it routinely, and likely very difficult if it's done infrequently. It's a classic example of having experience.

What one learns to do is get it quite close, then snug up the fasteners for the very final fine adjustments, which are made with a soft hammer. If the head is loose enough to be easily twitched a tenth or two, it isn't snug enough to be reading true with the indicator, and is very likely to read differently when the fasteners are tightened, of it will move, as has been suggested. You can spend a day chasing the last few tenths otherwise.

I'm with Kap-----I think we should start producing one with a dozen indicators or more. If two are better, think of the possibilities.

Mean time, I'll stick to my tried and proven method of sweeping the table with a single indicator. Seems to have served me flawlessly for more than 50 years. I have a hunch Kap will agree! :-)

Harold
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

LivingLegend wrote:Give me a single indicator mounted on a "dog leg" and I'm happy.

LL
Heh!

Do I notice a theme here? :wink:

Seems those of us that have worked in the industry can see through the tool quite easily. It's a great gadget with no real need.

Harold