Automated Gate

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

The Gears

Automated Gate

Post by The Gears »

Thanks to SgtWookie for the plan to operate a set of crossing gates for a model railway.
I appllied the plan to open the drive way gate when the light on the automatic garage door goes on and close when the light off. This gave me a push button control from the car.

The sytem is 24 volts supplied from an old 30 volt transformer, added a 4 diod bridge for DC and a 2 x 4 relay to handle the limit switch logic.
The rely coil is 120 volts.

The is a switch on the transformer 120 V supply to isolate the system from the garage door.

Spent about $150.00 for the surplus parts for the gate wheel and drive and 70.00 for 200' of 3 pair cable from the garage to thr gate.

The gate supplier wanted about 2K for his system installed.
Attachments
Gate.pdf
(25.73 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

The Gears--

Gotta picture of the gate?

--seal killer
You are what you write.
The Gears

Post by The Gears »

Hi seal killer. Here is a pic of the gate drive. All the parts are surplus
Attachments
For Sale 020.jpg
For Sale 021.jpg
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

The Gears--

Sweet and simple! 2 kewl.

Windshield wiper motors?

--Bill
You are what you write.
Jose Rivera

Gate

Post by Jose Rivera »

The Gears ... that is brilliant !! :shock:

The typical design with the long chain or cable becomes obsolete.

Some idiot proofing so no one gets hurt ?

Is this you design?
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
The Gears

Post by The Gears »

I guess any low voltage geared motor will work. The picture does not show it but there is a sealed ball bearing between the drive output and the chain drive. Pressed into a machined ring tack welded on the left side of the plate is the bearing. I am in the process of building a metal cover for weather protection and to keep the fingers and junk out of the chian.

Having AutoCAD to do the design and work bugs out is very helpfull. I was able to completly build it on screen then rotate and view from any prospective. That is as much fun as the building.

I have had lost of fun building this thing for cheap and showing it off to the guys on the street.

I will have to remember to open the gate when snow is forcasted, or mount a snow tire for the winter.