Finger Lakes Live Steamers -- Fall Open House 2008

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mike Walsh

Finger Lakes Live Steamers -- Fall Open House 2008

Post by Mike Walsh »

Gents,

FLLS is having their annual Fall Open house on September 26/27/28, 2008.

The 1" line now has the new extension, and more trackwork is currently in progress to complete the ENTIRE circuit of the railroad -- thus allowing you to traverse a lengthy route, without getting off the locomotive once (spring points!)

The 1.5" Line is operational as always!

The G gauge line features a new yard, and you can now travel all three circuits simply by throwing turnouts!

Anyone gonna be there? I will be there, helping out. If some stars align, I might have some progress on my 2-8-0 there, also.

Mike Walsh
FLLS
john_sommer

Post by john_sommer »

Yep- Ill have the 1.5" Steeple Cab there..
FLLS is stop 2 of 4 of my live steam travels this fall
Ill probably bring out the 3/4" for display and Leave the 1" at home until I get around to rewiring her this winter..
Should be a fun meet.
John Sommer
Steve Bratina

FLLS.

Post by Steve Bratina »

I hope some day down the road the 3/4" interest comes back to the club. I sure miss going there. It used to be alot of fun running on the track with my Niagara following behind Harold's. I hope he is recovering OK.
Just a question. What ever happened to Ken Parkinson? Is he still in the hobby. The last I heard, he moved down to Florida. I didn't think that the rails of the Pennsy reached that far south!
The picture shows Ken running my Niagara with Harold in hot pursuit.
Attachments
FLLS 7 K Parkinson H Crouch.jpg
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

I am unsure regarding Ken Parkinson -- I am only a year old member at FLLS. I could probably find out.

As for the 3/4" highline... I just found out a week or so ago that the pot is being stirred for that.. Some would like to see a 3/4" highline resurrected so that we can gather more people for our meets and just have a grand ol' time, to say the least.

Regards,

Mike Walsh
Bill Shields

Highline

Post by Bill Shields »

Make it functional and people will come...
john_sommer

Post by john_sommer »

I'll second that! :D :D
John Sommer
Errol Groff

Post by Errol Groff »

Since FLLS appears to be "in the middle of nowhere" how about some suggestions about lodging for those coming for the fall steam up.

Are there hotels at exits 41 or 42? Some name brands would be appreciated.

How far is it from FLLS down to Hammondsport? Being that close a side trip to the Glenn Curtis Musuem might be in order. That is one of my favorite musuems in all the land.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Errol Groff
New England Model Engineering Society
Steve Bratina

FLLS

Post by Steve Bratina »

I have not been there in a while but there was a nice Hotel in Newark New York. I can't recall the name right now. Also, just outside of Lyons New York, on the highway going west out of town, there were two roadside Motels that were not too fancy but were clean. I stayed in Newark because I used to Visit Harold Crouch and he lived there. There is also stuff in Geneva New York. If you go to the club, its worth it to see the barn with the peculiar roof.
Steve
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Errol,

there is a Super 8 in Geneva, along with several other chains (America's Best Value Inn, Ramada Geneva, Hampton Inn, etc). Geneva is probably 10-20 minutes' drive from the track Geneva is also roughly 15 minutes from the Thruway (exit 42, take a right after you pass the toll booth, and head south).

The Club is located near a large outlet mall, excellent if you'd like to drop off the missus to do some shopping, while you play. I think a lot of club members do that.

From FLLS, Google Maps claims it is 1hr 46 mins to Hammondsport (you have to through Geneva, Penn Yan, then take some scenic backroutes to Hammondsport).

Anything else anyone has to ask -- ask! I check the board frequently, and attempt to provide input when possible.....

Mike Walsh
Errol Groff

Post by Errol Groff »

Thank you Steve and Mike. I am still up in the air as to wether or not I will make the trip this coming weekend. I sure would like to but we will have to see.

I read the worst review I have ever read of a motel regarding America's Best Value Inn. Thant may be a place to avoid from what I read.

Hope to see you all this weekend. Look for my traveling companions:

http://neme-s.org/PLS_2008/DSC04453.jpg

Errol Groff
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

With all of the bed and breakfast establishments in the Finger Lakes region, why would you want to stay at a hotel? Lots of wineries and points of interest as well. You might even get the spouse to tag along with those options to trains...
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
Joe Tanski

Thank you Finger Lakes

Post by Joe Tanski »

attended The Finger lakes meet on Saturday9/27/08 little misty ran in the Am, but I ran my 1 1/2 4-6-0 #14 for about three hours.1 1/2" Track was in great shape, with many new improvements(nice Job F.L.L.S).great new BIG 1" scale ground track and a great looking #1 gauge on the ground.
Have not been back to Fingerlakes for about 6 years(just to many other meets) but the club has major major improvements and is growing!!!
Thanks again Finger Lakes you ran a very class meet.Just a shame the turn out was so light.see you in the spring
Joe Tanski