Where can I get good twist drills?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

David_W

Where can I get good twist drills?

Post by David_W »

Hi folks,
I need to quit trying to get decent results using my old dull, beat-up drills. What is a good source for new drills of good quality for a reasonable price? I would go for a "115 piece set" which I see here and there but don't know whose are any good. Also, any recommendations for single drills which will be used a lot (like tap drills for common sizes)? "Kryptonite plated?"
Thanks for any ideas.
BillSct

Re: Where can I get good twist drills?

Post by BillSct »

Maybe what you need is a drill sharpener.

Here's a link to Drill Doctor.
Drill Doctor

Here's a link to Darex
Darex

I bought a reconditioned M3 from them years ago
Ralph_Monroe_Mi

Post by Ralph_Monroe_Mi »

I bought a 115 pc uncoated usa made set from J&L on sale for just under $100. I see it repeated in their sales catalogs several times a year. I'm satisfied with it and it is a luxury to go to the index and get the right drill for the job.

But I don't use those drill unless it's in the mill, lathe, or drill press. I have a couple other partial indexes around that I keep my everyday drills in and a couple boxes of multiples that see duty in my hand helds.

That being said, I think its important to learn how to sharpen drills with a grinding wheel by hand using a drill angle gage.
The day I learned, I came home that night and sharpened a coffee can of dull drills. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to force a dull drill thru metal. There are few things more pleasing than watching a drill you sharpened throw off two strands of equal chips.
Mosey

Re:You can get good twist drills at....

Post by Mosey »

Go to the MSC catalog and order drill sets that are made in America. They are listed in order of increasing quality and price from left to right. I understand that all of the made in USA ones are made by
Cleveland Twist Drill under several brand names. They are VERY good. You will be pleased.
Bstigall

Post by Bstigall »

Drill bits made by Lawson Products, we us them at work and are the toughest bits we have found, they will drill thought a saw blade and are self centering.
http://www.lawsonproducts.com
Sam_E

Post by Sam_E »

Called Lawson to get a price quote and got a royal run around. The last person I talked to said I would have to register before I could talk to a sales rep.
LEW_BEST

Post by LEW_BEST »

Hi Dave

MSC runs their "made in USA" sets on sale several times a year for around $40 for 1/16th turough 1/2" sets. I've been VERY atisfied with them!

Found once that they also had the numbered & lettered sets at a big discount. Far cheaper than a full 115 piece set; only disadvantage is that they're in 3 separate indexes instead of one. I think it's MSC that has quite a nice discount on their Drill Doctors (about $125 right now).

Lew
Skeeter5000

Have seen the Lawson bits at trade show

Post by Skeeter5000 »

This rep. drilled a harden bolt with a hand drill and it went though fast. I was impressed.

I have a coulpe of complete drill sets on hand (new) or I would have pick one up. Not any more expensive that Williams or Bendix.

Skeeter
Rangerod

Post by Rangerod »

I have to agree with Ralph_Monroe_Mi. My instructor in high school made me sharpen every single drill bit in the shop. At the time I hated him for but sure have appreciated it ever since. Drill grinding machines are nice if you have to, just my two bits [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]