Another carriage stop... retrofit

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

coal miner

Another carriage stop... retrofit

Post by coal miner »

My lathe came w/ a carriage stop that was a pain to use .Had to remove the allen head bolts completely to attach it to the ways . Couldn't hit the the holes and was a hassle to tighten using a L shaped wrench , T-wench hit the lead screw . Got to where I just used a long travel DI to hit the mark , also this was a problem on long boring jobs . After looking at CarlD's excellent stop decided to fix the one I had to make it more user friendly. So made a new plate for the bottom and installed studs long enough to allow it to be put on without removing the threaded nuts . Will be using it more now that it can be put on in a manner seconds .

Little bitty screws and me don't get along .

This is a lot better .

Thanks CarlD for your post , made me rethink the one I had and made it useful .
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

There ya go coal miner, it just takes a little thought and you can most always modify a tool that is not very useable to something that is useable. I like the thumb wheels to tighten with. I used 5/16" hex bolts and have to use a wrench on them which is sometimes clumsy for me.

That's a nice job on the revamp coal miner.

I may try studs and knurled knobs on mine if the bolts give me trouble.
It's only ink and paper.