This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JTolan

Post by JTolan »

Hi Mike thanks for the pics. Do you have any pictures of your engine? By the way we put a baloon stack on the Chloe it improved steaming and cleaning alot.

Also, This forum is great all my friends are on here. 8)
Attachments
Copy of mlk09 (19) (Custom).JPG
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

JTolan wrote:Hi Mike thanks for the pics. Do you have any pictures of your engine? By the way we put a baloon stack on the Chloe it improved steaming and cleaning alot.
And it looks better! I'm gonna guess that having a wider stack with gradual taper relieved some pressure constriction...must sound different...

I'm actually re-vamping my project galleries, so all I have online is a few of the latest photos of the chassis with completed valve gear:
http://www.mikemassee.com/gallery/v/pro ... alve_gear/ We have a lot more parts finished not visible in these photos. Cab, pilot, domes, rear truck and platform, etc. Currently working on cylinders, should be running on air in the not too distant future. Then it's a whole lot of plumbing. New boiler from Marty arrived last year and is waiting to go on.

We added a hinge in the pushrods rather than rely on the bending of the rod itself. It's more mechanically correct but not absolutely necessary; you can see both ways used on the prototype.

We have the original bronze rod castings that Gene used to sell before switching to Aluminum, from the scrap chloe we bought. They are sleeved to correct hole placement for our new and more accurate axle spacing.

Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

welcome, i think the Chloe is a great engine to learn on as well as run. wonderful to transport too.
here is my kit bashing job on mine.
Fred V
Attachments
fredntoni2.JPG
JTolan

Post by JTolan »

Mike looks good, are you sure the rods wont be to soft and wear to quick, looks like its comming along well, make sure to put external marks on the rockers so you can tell if they move . I silver soldered my inside rocker and pinned the exterior The Chloe is now deap and throaty :shock: when above 3/4ths glass and sounds like C-16 and all the soot goes into the stack not in smoke box or in the petticoat either. - Happy Steaming, Jeff Tolan P.S which Train Mountian Meet you going to NG or Triennial?
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Jeff,

Are you and your Dad coming to the Triennial this year? It seems like yesterday that I was up there delivering the Chloe to Jim and Hunter.... 3 years goes quick!

My loco should be done and tested in time.....

Cheers,

Robert M.
JTolan

Meet

Post by JTolan »

My dad and I are planning to make the narrow gauge meet in May. What kind of engine are you building? BTW your Chloe has changed hands twice and now is being rebuilt with a new boiler. - Jeff Tolan
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I'll be going for the triennial....

If I go to the NG meet it will be a quick visit, and I'll do some videotaping and what-not up there. Bill Boller and Rich Ulin want to double head the shays there again...and will probably do so also at the Bitter Creek NG meet as per usual. Bill's also got his new bumblebee C16 completed. It's amazing, another perfect scale wonder with all working appliances, including the spreader thing made from a brake cylinder.

Yea we're familiar with the trials and tribulations of that Chloe :) I saw the big pile of sediment and warped tubes up at Jeff Badger's place before he restored it and sold it again... :) I guess the boiler didn't last long after that though? I hear the current owner is at your home club.

Thanks for the advice concerning the rockers. The rods should be okay, we'll find out. :)

--Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
JTolan

Post by JTolan »

Yes she is a work of art the bumblebee