Carbide grinder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Black_Moons

Carbide grinder

Post by Black_Moons »

Hi, I just bought my own carbide tool room grinder. I love it. it runs SMOOTH outta the box, amazeing. giant TABLES, omg TABLES, STEEL TABLES, *does a dance* iv waited a long, long time to get a grinder that actualy gives me a tool rest mounted by more then a peice of tin can.

Anyway after all this excitement I realised.. my shop is tiny and the grinder + tables is huge.

So I thought id ask, anyone here come up with cute tricks for space saving with the carbide grinder? My current bench grinder is kinda siting on a stand thats 'recessed' in a 2' wide cavity beween a table and a shelf, so totaly inapporate spot to put a carbide grinder because I have to grind from the right and left side, not infront.

Iv thought about making some really insane stand with like a lazy susan bearing (or some metal on metal bearing I make on my lathe) below the carbide grinder and maybe a locking bolt or two so I could just rotate the whole grinder around so the side i'll be using faces me.. but that seems kinda iffy..
I do have a few spots I could erect a new desk/table for it if I must.. that might be a better idea I guess.. but I thought maybe someone here could post a picture or idea on how to sneak a carbide grinder into as small of a shop footprint as possable, without totaly ruining access to it.

(If anyone is still wondering, http://www.rtcomputer.com/larry/baldor- ... nder-1.jpg is the style of grinder, HF has em for $150~.. I had to pay $500cnd for mine because thats the cheapest I could find em localy and they are 100lbs+!!!!! they make normal bench grinders look like tiny paperweights)
[url]www.Cyberlazy.com[/url]
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I don't have a picture, but I have seen a lazy susan type table that had a belt sander, 8" bench grinder and carbide grinder. They spun it around and used which ever one they happen to need at the time. Everything was heavy enough they didn't need a table clamp.

Richard W.
thedieter

Post by thedieter »

I built a low stand so that I can sit down while using it. It is low enough that it could be slid under a bench, etc.

Best regards, Jack
Attachments
456 reduced.jpg
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Still a work in progress, but I am hoping to get a number of grinders into a limited area - they are taking over one wall of the shop. I have a large slab of 3/8" steel plate, trimmed to octagonal shape and and it has been fitted with an indexing mechanism so the table can be rotated and stopped at eighth increments.

I am planning on mounting two bench grinders, one 6" and one 7", a Drill Doctor, and the Vordos cutter grinder on it. The 6" grinder is low powered and used just for light duty, deburring and minor sharpening. The 7" has ample power and it is the one that gets the metal hog duties. The Vordos unit is a found cast iron bearing block refitted with a new arbor with tapered ends to match surface grinder hubs, so wheels once mounted and trued should be removable and replacable without loosing true. The drive motor will be 3/4" hp and it has a two speed V belt drive because I was able to get a bunch of new 10" 60 grit J 3/8" thick surface grinder wheels from Boeing surplus - hope to use them as well as the standard 7" wheels.

Obviously the whole still needs some more items mounted plus grinder wheel guards, belt guards, and a bit of paint but when done I will have cut the grinding space requirements in half or better.
Attachments
grind2.jpg
grind3.jpg
grind1.jpg
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

Might be a prospect:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=3184

I have mine on a similar 29" high stand that HF used to sell that is built like a tank and IIRC was imported from a former USSR country. The 29" height placed the tables of the HF carbide grinder clone at a very convenient height for me (5' 10").

David Merrill
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Wanted to do a similar set-up but with just two. One small grinder and a polisher-buffer.

Had not got around yet. To may irons in the fire :D
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Black_Moons

Post by Black_Moons »

I like the turn table.. I actualy wanted a 3rd grinder someday, so maybe i'll do something like that turntable but with the carbide grinder in the middle so it fills both sides..
(1st has wirewheel + 46 grit brown aluminum oxide, carbide grinder would have aluminum oxide + diamond, 3rd would have say a 80 grit and maybe something special like a cup wheel or cutoff wheel or specialy dressed 1/2" wheel or something for speciality perposes).
[url]www.Cyberlazy.com[/url]