Tool Storage: Oil Bath No More!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Here is some of my storage. Nothing fancy but it works:

Below; I found storing collets and boring heads in a drawer is much better than storing them on the milling machine itself.

My 5C storage rack stored in a file cabinet drawer; The rack has a lexan lid as a barrier to dirt and moisture. The storage rack was made from an old shipping crate.

I'm always looking for additional storage space. One day I noticed this corner of the shop with nothing it but not very accesable either. I bought some sliding door track at Lowes. If I need the contents of the cabinets I role them out from the corner then roll them back out of the way.
Image Image

Below is a drawer mounted under the chip pan of my lathe. Every lathe should have a drawer under the chip pan is space permits. I made wooden dividers for some of my tool bits. The plastic dividers were containers that new taps come in. Most of them came from work.

Below are wooden cases I made for a rightangle attachment, rotary table, radius dresser, special spindle, I.D. micrometer, TI30 calculator,
spin indexer and #30 toolholders.
Image Image
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Black_Moons

Post by Black_Moons »

Nice idea about the under the chip pan drawer. One day I wanna rebuild my stand into a giant shelfing unit but I probley would'nt gain all that much space.. then again those cabinates suck, way to deep and skinny.
[url]www.Cyberlazy.com[/url]
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Frank--

Gee. You got a GOOD deal on that duplicate shipment of neoprene! I just priced it at McMaster-Carr!

But, that got me to thinking and remembering. I had a "water amenity" project for which I mistakenly bought a 4' x 12' sheet of 40 mil neoprene. Having nothing to do with it, I cut a circular piece out to cover my Craftsman round table top, about 3' in diameter.

I looked for the neoprene (red) this morning and found it. I have PLENTY left. Plus, I even have the neodymium magnets from an old robotics project, although I am not sure I will use them. I am thinking of taking one of my spare magnet bars (the kind you bolt to a bench to hold screwdrivers and stuff) and cutting it into one or two inch chunks then milling something made out of aluminum that will cover all sides but one. (I've got one of the magnet bars stuck on the back of the knee now. It takes ALL my strength to get it off even after I slide it on the oily surface so that about six inches is sticking out in space!)

I'll post pictures next week.

Thanks for the great idea!

--Bill
ps I already cut a piece for the right side of my table next to the Kurt.
You are what you write.