BOB DEAN SIGHT GLASS UPDATE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

BOB DEAN SIGHT GLASS UPDATE

Post by Trainman4602 »

As mentioned in the latest video I had some trouble with the sight glass this weekend. It started to leak. Before we ran I cleaned the LSB from inside and I think I broke the silicone seal.

I have taken it apart and cleaned it.
I called Bob today and he suggested that I paint the inside red. He claims that the level will show red and above will be clear. We shall see.

I will use the red high temperature silicone to seal it. Bob suggested that when the silicone dries to scrape the access for the inside.

He also said that I could return it and he would send me another one at no charge. That’s more then I can say about some other supplier.

DON"T USE LSB 8000 It does protect the boiler but coats every thing else also. That's the trouble I'm having with the safety and other things sticking. Bob Dean agreed with me about the LSB It will coat the flutes on the reflex glass making it impossible to read.

The pictures are before and after
Attachments
amanda 003.jpg
amanda 008.jpg
kbarnett

Post by kbarnett »

I have used LSB for many years. And I have had no problems with it coating the sight glasses. One engine has a RR supply glass with tube ,the other has a reflex glass. Safties work fine also. Maybe it is the water you are using?
tsph6500

Get Bent!

Post by tsph6500 »

Following a tip from Curly, if you paint black & white or red & white stripes on a 45˚ angle the lines appear bent when under water and it is very easy to see.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Steve Bratina

Gauge Glass

Post by Steve Bratina »

I was shown a trick by the late Ed Tanski. If you cut out the bar code from a pop can. you can place it behind a tubular glass and read it much easier.
The tin allows you to form it to fit the glass.
Bill Shields

Sight Glass Level

Post by Bill Shields »

I guess I am just stone age about all this sight glass level stuff.

I find it easier to just do a Mitch Miller and 'follow the bouncing ball'

Granted, it isn't exactly something that you would find on the average locomotive, but my priorities are that I have to have something that even a blind man (Jim) can see this level in any light.

I also have been using the LSB products (4000 however) without problems related to coating things.

Maybe frequent blowdowns minimize the problem?

Protecting the boiler against corrosion / scaling is high on my list - much higher than maybe having to clean a glass occasionally.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I'm using the 8000 I may be using to much of it I'll try cutting down.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

how much are you putting in a tender-full of water?
prlawiii

Post by prlawiii »

Bill,

Did you make the sight glass, or buy it. If bought, who was the supplier? If made, any chance of you posting drawings of the ends with the valves? That looks like a system that Dave might approve of, if those valves close of the boiler connection.

Herman

Just starting an Allen Mogul
Pennsy fan

Water treatment.

Post by Pennsy fan »

After a long chat with one of the chemist at LSB, he said a small amount is plenty for our scale. The Case 50 I run only needs an OZ to start and a shot after 1/2 way though the run day. And this is also comes from other steam tractor owners.

For the most part the LSB handles the suspended solids and leaves a film on the steel in the boiler. So unless you have a coating on the glass you won't have a problem.
If your having a buildup problem your water needs more than just the LSB.

In my job I have worked with water treatment plants and there tons to know on how to find out what is causing problems.

Things like chlorine, salt, oils, and plenty other things can make you go nuts.

In my case I have had some lime builtup on my glasses over time and a long q tip with lacquer thinner will get the glass clean.

BTW: Bob Dean did have a bad batch that did leak, I had two that had to be replaced after a few runs.
David.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Yes David

Bob mentioned that. I have one of the first one he produced #49.

I have resealed it with high tempature silicone.

I do believe I am using to much LSB I will try a smaller amount.
Bill Shields

Sight Glass

Post by Bill Shields »

I made it from bar stock.

I don't think I have drawings - just came off the left side of my brain as I was spinning dials. Much of my loco is designed like that. Jim actually made some of the valve bits - he stems and packing glands. Again, straight from the left side of his brain also.

I can create some drawings if there is really a need.

The only critical dimension was that I needed a glass with a hole in the center large enough to allow the ball to float.

Other than that, it's just bits silver soldered together. The 'fittings' where the piping connects are the seats for the needle valves.

The valves are used to shut off the glass for blowing down / safety control.

Every time I steam up, I test the feed lines for free flow to be sure that the glass is giving an accurate level reading.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Bill, i like the o-rings on the handles. what did you use for the ball?
fred v